Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cold Smoked Cheese on SJP 18"  (Read 2391 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Cold Smoked Cheese on SJP 18"
« on: January 03, 2016, 07:05:50 PM »
Usually when I cold smoke I use my Weber gas Summit. I keep it off but just use it as a smoke chamber with my A-Mazin pellet tray. My Summit was a bit buried by snow so I figured I'd give the SJ Platinum a try.  Here was my setup.

Pellet tray on the charcoal tray...

covered the cooking grate with foil, leaving some space on the ends, to avoid too much direct smoke hitting from below...

[
loaded up a raised grid (from a Smokenator I used to own) with my cheese and placed it over the cooking grate...

put  the lid on and let her go.

Here's a couple hours in...

and here is the final product after about 4 hours. Now for the hard part, waiting a few weeks for it to mellow to be ready to eat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: Cold Smoked Cheese on SJP 18"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »
WoW, great setup !!!   Do NOT forget to let us know how the final results turned out.                     SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »
That's a really nice setup, @mcgolden.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:14:46 PM »
I need to do some smoked cheese again ASAP it turned out so freaking good!

Nice use of space on the SSP.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 06:37:08 AM »
Nice looking set-up and great write-up!

The 18" Outrider is a very versatile cooker. 
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »
I have got to give this a try.  Thanks for posting this!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:41 AM »
Nice setup.  I have some cheese in the fridge that I have been trying to get around to smoking for a few weeks now.  I notice your bag of pellets is cherry, is that what you used?  If so is that your prefered smoke flavor for cheese?  I got the sampler pack from Owens BBQ for xmas, so I have about every flavor you can think of.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 03:33:21 PM »
Man you make it look so easy, gotta try some smoked cheese. Now I need a food saver...

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
Nice setup.  I have some cheese in the fridge that I have been trying to get around to smoking for a few weeks now.  I notice your bag of pellets is cherry, is that what you used?  If so is that your prefered smoke flavor for cheese?  I got the sampler pack from Owens BBQ for xmas, so I have about every flavor you can think of.

Yes cherry is what I typically use because I have a big bag of it and it's yielded a nice flavor in the past.  If I remember correctly I believe I got good results from hickory too.  Some cheeses that I've found to be good for smoking are cheddar, Gouda and my favorite, pepper jack.  Hoping to try some other varieties in the future.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »
And now thanks to this post I think I'll finally stop procrastinating and go load up my tube and get my cheese going.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!