Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rack of lamb, not my best cook  (Read 1011 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Rack of lamb, not my best cook
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »
It's been quite a while since I did one of these and I should have cooked it longer. I was going for medium rare, used my Thermapen, saw 115 and thought I was golden for some stupid reason (I hadn't even had a beer yet!). By the time I cut into it I was hungry and just ate it. I think 125-130 would have been much better.

It was good and still edible, but I prefer the taste and texture of lamb when it's a little more cooked. This was pretty raw.

Rack of lamb, rubbed with an herb mix of garlic, salt, thyme, rosemary, pepper, then marinated in lemon, olive oil and some red and balsamic vinegar. I also did a yam - which I cook naked and always eat the skin.

After an indirect roast and a sear over the hot coals it had an awesome crust

I told my girlfriend that next time we can't do carrots and yams together - too much orange and it looks a little funny on the plate

Looking forward to the next one.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rack of lamb, not my best cook
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:24:46 AM »
Still a nice looking plate and meal.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:24:53 AM »
@austin87  - I did something similar on New Years eve.  Unfortunatley I don't have a single picture.  I used a very similar marinade as you, but cut my rack into chops.  Seared them for 1 minute 10 seconds on each side over my medium vortex.  All of them but one were more done than yours, but the one that came out as rare as yours was the best one.  You might have lucked into pulling them off sonner than you wanted to!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:47:42 PM »
Looks good to me too!
And just think, when you reheat the leftovers they'll be perfect!