Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red Flannel Hash  (Read 2233 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Red Flannel Hash
« on: January 04, 2016, 06:50:16 AM »
File Under: Eat the Mistakes

If you've ever made something wrong and didn't care, this is for you.

Inspiration came from @AnotherPintPlease 's FB post about this, a Jamie Purveyance Weber recipe-of-the-week for Red Flannel Hash.

Mike hadn't included the info for the recipe (it's here: http://www.weber.com/recipes/pork/red-flannel-hash) so I began wandering about, learning what the heck a hash is and what a red flannel version might be. And as some of you probably know, there are several ways to make this dish.

That's good news because as simple as this recipe is, I screwed it up at a few key points and it still was delicious. I began before the coffee had taken hold that morning; that's my excuse. So um, that's why the pictures don't "look right" compared to any pictures you'll see for this dish.

-- disclaimers and explainers --

1) We didn't dice or crumble most of it, so it's not a real hash. This meant we made more of a casserole and less of a flattened, harder hash patty. But if you look at the recipe it's not a real hash recipe I don't think.

2) I cut the beets up way too small, according to the pictures. Overall it wasn't an issue but I think you're supposed to leave them cut large. That said, with the beets left as larger pieces, they would have mushed up anyway; you wouldn't be able to make a traditional "hash" patty also, but hey it's not *my* recipe ... I'm not complaining, just felt like I was being pulled in two directions here.

3) We used the entire package (5.3oz) of goat cheese (it calls for 4oz) and added it at the end to the stirred pot instead of sprinkling small chunks on top nearer plate time. This act alone probably made it over-rich.

This cook was @chuck s ' place Saturday by the way. I think we used 4 small potatoes. With the whole mess eventually in a 12" pot and set down into the GBS grate, it looked like not much food. Mrs. chuck s fried eggs to perfection, a concession made to traditional hash meals.

Didn't look like much on the plate but was very rich and filling. And also very tasty. I'll do it differently next time, somehow, but would want to keep a bacon/goat cheese dynamic, as that flavor combo was incredible.

Bacon coming off:

cooking, cooking, right at the end ...

plated ...

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Red Flannel Hash
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 07:08:44 AM »
I skipped the reading …. Love those pics!  I would not hesitate loading down a plate with that ^^^^^^^.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:08:59 AM »
Looks good to me!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

AnotherPintPlease

• Smokey Joe
    • Another Pint Please
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
I don't know, that looks pretty fantastic right there!! Great job!!

Oh, and the most important note to me? #3. There is never a thing as too much goat cheese!!

Cheers!
Mike

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:15:03 PM »
I don't know, that looks pretty fantastic right there!! Great job!!

Oh, and the most important note to me? #3. There is never a thing as too much goat cheese!!

Cheers!
Mike

What's funny is, as I was staring down into the pot I was thinking, "Hmm, this isn't much food! Probably a good thing the eggs are coming ..."

But when we sat down, we each took a bite and reflexively leaned back as if to say, "Oh, what have I done? This is serious ..."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:30:11 PM »
Looks good to me! I'm glad you ATL guys are still cooking it up!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
Looks good to me! I'm glad you ATL guys are still cooking it up!

We are but life has a way of intervening, you know? Chuck moved away and summers are always busy for me ... and then I went back to school. Anyway, we're still here, just doing other things now! :)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 06:28:15 PM »
Hey A-T-S,
I'll take a plate of that!
It's good to hear from you.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 03:06:28 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke did a 1st rate job on his Red Flannel Hash.  he was right when he said it looked small but ate huge.  The recipe said feeds 4 to 6.  I looked at the finished cook and wondered if we would have enough for 3 (well at least me and two more!) - it would have feed at least 4 if not 5 of us!!   It was great!!   

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 06:37:38 AM »
Looks great! Pictures look phenomenal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk