Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Backyard Organization  (Read 6059 times)

jaynik

• WKC Brave
Backyard Organization
« on: January 01, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »
I don't see any threads on this already, an didn't see much in the gallery, so I'm curious as to how you guys organize your grills in your yard.  I've got 5 grills, and i don't have a huge back yard.  I currently have 2 set up at any given time on my paver patio, but it's sort of crowded and it doesn't flow well in the yard.  I was looking for some inspiration for how I can use my space.  Any ideas from this group?

My grills are 3 Weber charcoal 18.5, Performer and 26.75.  I've got a Weber Genesis 330 gas grill, and a non-weber vertical propane smoker.

Thanks,
Jay
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:04:33 PM by jaynik »

jaynik

• WKC Brave
Re: Backyard Organization
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 04:02:06 PM »
I should point out that I did look on Google images, Pinterest, etc but all I can find are pictures of amazing giant backyards with built in elaborate outdoor kitchens.  While I think those are neat, they are neither in my budget or my space constraints.  I'm adding a low quality photo from Google maps where you can get a rough idea of the space layout.  Right now, the grills sit to the right as you come out the back door which feels logical, but doesn't always look the prettiest.  We also have a puppy who needs to run a lot, so I can't cut off the yard for the sake of the grills.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »
I have all of my regularly used cookers on the small back patio out back (except my offset) and the rest of my kettles are stretched down the side of the house. We are planning on hiring someone in 2016 to work with us to layout our small backyard to optimize the space for cooking and gathering with friends while still setting aside some space for the family tortoise.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:33:50 AM »
Thanks.  I'd like to get a pro in to give me some ideas too.  I've got a weird space to work with, but want to make the best of it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 01:29:44 PM »
Organization eh?

I've got about 33 of'em packed into a 500 sq. ft. backyard.....
....on either side of the storage shed...

....under the lawnmower...

...under tarps & covers for the nice ones (perfect Brownie, real nice Blue MasterTouch, near perfect Yellow, Avacado Sequoia, etc.)..........

A lot of the others are out on the pad in use....

....it's a "kettle jungle" out there....esp. at night....

Projects & extras get stored along the fence & on the double-tiered rack.....

So yeah, glad you asked about 'organized'........... :o :o :o

...looking back out toward the house from under the awning where the nice ones are stored...

....back in toward the awning...

....the pad, made up of paving stones from Home Depot....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 01:40:18 PM »
I don't know whether to be jealous of your collection or grateful for my apparent glut of "extra" space.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:03:09 PM »
Love those pics, @1buckie !  You're the man that drove me into this crazy Weber kettle world ….

Ken, are you still drinking that smoked water? … I see a few of them bottles in this pic …  ??? :o ;D ;D ;) ;)

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »
New Years Resolution-

Get yer grillz organazized!

I'm doomed!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 07:39:21 PM »
@jaynik , step #1 is to send me your 26... you just don't have the space for that one. 

;-)
One of the charcoal people.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:12:41 PM »
@1buckie I was half expecting to see you had a shed built out of kettles. :)
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 11:36:21 AM »
Here is how I store my collection of Webers. Well, most of them. There are 2 in the rafters of the garage.

Cooking area with BBQ shed on the left.

Inside the BBQ shed.

I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 03:46:31 PM »
Harbormaster, that's some setup.  No offense 1buckie, but that's more like what I had in mind.  (well, minus the purpose built building for grills...

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 08:33:22 PM »
I just have shit all over the place, I try to stash a few here and a few there.  Some in the shed, some on the side, some around the pool....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 05:54:31 AM »
Make it look correct by dedicating an awning/sun sail/table/storage area that definitively identifies what the area is used for. The other thing is, nothing says "organized" like grouped grills kept under cover ... it'll be obvious the placement wasn't an after thought, you know? It'll look fine, then. After that you can explore moving seating areas around to be near it, or keep is isolated from the "entertaining" area as you wish.

For me, proximity to kitchen and door are paramount. I won't have that until I move tho ... my bigger issue is protected (indoor) storage for accessories. Just last night I setup a rotisserie cook ... and spent 30 mins dicking around trying to find the tines to slide onto the spit. Opened up a secondary kettle I hadn't used since Spring, and mold everywhere. Damn. Gotta get those unused cooking gates INSIDE THE HOUSE.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »
Wow, I need to thank everyone for posting all these pictures with lots of kettles. Until I showed these to my wife, she thought I was crazy for having only 3. I think you guys might help me convince her on a WSM now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk