Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Santa forgot one thing...a good dough recipe  (Read 5933 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Santa forgot one thing...a good dough recipe
« on: December 25, 2015, 09:10:11 AM »
I can't complain about Christmas this year!  Regan came through big time with a KettlePizza, wood and aluminum peels she got separately and a bag of charcoal!  Now I just need a good pizza dough recipe. 

Merry Christmas and Happy cooks to everyone and may your new year involve new grilling gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Santa forgot one thing...a good dough recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »
Nice score mike !

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 10:03:14 AM »
Here is a pretty basic recipe.  Needs time to rise, makes a great crust.  Plenty of variations out there.  Add Garlic powder if you are a Garlic head.

2 teaspoons active dry yeast or instant yeast
7/8 to 1 1/8 cups lukewarm water*
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pizza-crust-recipe
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »
Nice haul!  You will love the KP adaptor.  It's a lot of fun.

Here is a thread with some PD discussion:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/pizza-dough-2383/

I have used the following recipe with success:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
If you suck at making dough like me you can go to Safeway.  In their deli section with the take and bake pizzas they should have pre-made fresh pizza dough.  Its enough to make a 14" pie.  Usually costs about $2-$3 each.   Brand is called Primo Taglio whole wheat pizza dough.  Just let it warm up to room temp, flour and roll out.  No fuss no muss.  Used it for all my grilled pizzas.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 11:52:38 AM »
I second the Safeway dough. I usually go for the white not whole wheat. It's cheap and tastes great. Just make sure to leave it out to get to room temp.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 01:15:42 PM »
I'll will second (or third) all the above, adding that seriouseats.com has an entire section on pizza, including pizza with the KettlePizza.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/columns/the-pizza-lab/

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
Looks like you have had a great day Mike!
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 04:57:14 PM »
King Arthur flour has a great website recipe section. Made some baguettes using one of their recipes recently and they were amazing.
One thing with pizza dough: Bread flour has a higher protein content than all purpose. Crispy crust, use bread flour. Chewy crust, use all purpose.
I typically use a 2:1 ratio bread flour: whole wheat all purpose. I double up on yeast for whatever the recipe calls for, same for rising times. That's my personal preference for the yeasty flavor and bubbly crust. If you like a NY style crust, your rise is done in the fridge.
No matter what way you prefer your pizza crust, always opt for the higher quality flour. The results will prove worth the extra cost. Cannot go wrong with King Arthur brand, I always have the best results with that brand. Gold medal would be second.
All that being said, I've had decent results using readymade fresh dough from Trader Joes, and frozen from Kroger, near the frozen rolls. Even got a box of 50 frozen dough balls from a food service supply and had dough for a year for about $20.

C&B Blue Performer

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
The book with the KP has a good dough recipe. Simple and reliable.  I also try others and sometimes use the safeway dough. Generally the safeway dough is heavier than when I make it from scratch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
Accidentally sent a reply.

Nothing to see here folks!
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I've done 2 pizzas so far and the results have been excellent.   I've used the Primo pre-made dough from safeway.  It comes out a bit thicker than I would prefer but has been great for learning how my grill works with the kettle pizza.  I bought everything I need to make my own dough (including King Arthurs bread flour) and hope to make dough sometime this week.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
Here are some pics from my pizza cooks so far.

Slo-mo
https://vimeo.com/150298494

My shiny new KettlePizza made my performer look really dirty since it hadn't been cleaned in a while, so I spent a day cleaning up all of my grills!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:05:45 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 03:50:44 PM »
Pizza looks great! BTW the shine on the gasser is blinding me!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »
Pizza looks Great! KettlePizza is on top of my most wanted accessories list.

I can never get the store bought dough thin enough. Although it's perfect in a cast iron pan for making deep dish pizzas. So that's the only time I use it.

Might I also suggest using a different recipe your first few times, as the results can vary greatly. Once you find one that suits you best, make it a few more times and then it will be like second nature.
C&B Blue Performer