Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Snake went limp  (Read 3856 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
My Snake went limp
« on: December 16, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »
I picked up a few racks of beef ribs and had an afternoon to myself to cook and relax. The ribs were fairly meaty , not like some I've seen you guys get but not shiners either. I estimated 5-6 hours of cook time at 250 -275. The day was cold just about 27 degrees with a few snow flurries and light wind. The plan was to run a snake for the cook and I set about building it adding some chunks of wood , Apple and hickory.

I added a few lit briquettes and went inside to prep the ribs .

I rubbed the ribs down with some Worcestershire sauce and dusted them with Weber Chicago steak seasoning

As soon as I thought the snake would be up to temp I went back outside and the grill was sitting at just 100 degrees , not sure if the charcoal had moisture in it or if the wind chill was killing me , but I quickly went to plan 2 , piling the coals indirect and lighting a few more in a chimney to go with minion method.

One vent open on the bottom and I quickly hit 275 and was good to go

I had some pre cooked mini spuds from another cook and decided to wrap them in a thin layer of breakfast sausage.

Ribs at 4 hours looking great, not quite up to temp yet :)

Blue Cheese dipping sauce

Total cook time 7 hrs , 6 hours of cooking and an hour of pissing in the wind !

Well worth getting wet ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:19:32 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: My Snake went limp
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »
How many lit coals did you start with?  I usually start with somewhere between 12-15.

Food looks awesome by the way!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »

How many lit coals did you start with?  I usually start with somewhere between 12-15.

Food looks awesome by the way!

About 6-8 , I plead guilty to not planning properly :) snake wasn't big enough , didn't factor in the cold ...and I wasn't even drinking

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »
"My Snake went limp"

They got pills for that.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
looks like your snake may have been a little wonky from the start. i normally do 2x2 all around the perimeter, trying to keep them nice & tight (almost like they been woven together) so the fire burns along them nice & smooth, with chunks on top.

nice recovery though, that looks like some first class chow.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »

...and I wasn't even drinking

@Idahawk  I believe Albert Einstein has summend up to is ... Have a Drink next time  ;)
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 10:09:12 AM »
I picked up a few racks of beef ribs and had an afternoon to myself to cook and relax.

Wait - you had a whole afternoon by yourself and you were not drinking while you cooked?  I'm not buying it....

Never seen mini spuds wrapped in sausage (and dipped in blue cheese).  Going to have to give that one a try! 

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 12:44:33 PM »
Wind messed with my snake on thanksgiving. I lit too few and it needed an extra layer of briquettes. Same as you hovered around 100 degrees for an hour until I started fiddling with it.

Overall killer meal I would eat any day.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »
Looks like it turned out great though. I've had to rework a snake a couple of times, happens to the best of us...

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »
Did the happy cooker get mad bro...then stomp out the fire.

I hope you hear the humor in there.

Iv been looking forward to a staycation day at the house alone with my cooker and some cold beers for a way to long.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 06:32:11 AM »

Did the happy cooker get mad bro...then stomp out the fire.

I hope you hear the humor in there.

Iv been looking forward to a staycation day at the house alone with my cooker and some cold beers for a way to long.

Absolutely ! :)

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 08:57:31 AM »
Thats some good lookin man food alright. No utensils necessary. I'd have stood right there, grill side, and burnt my fingers chewing the meat off the bones. Hell id even chew the bone if it had some rub on it.

I used that same flavor of sausage to make bean soup a couple days ago and the same brand with a hot italian flavor in spaghetti before that. Both were good but the italian was really good.

The 2" thick ribs you see around I have found at Albertsons. The guy posing as a butcher there sells them in the cryopack, but he keeps them in the back. He says Joe makes more $ grinding them into hamburger than they do selling ribs, and i believe it considering the price of ground beef, their ground pork is around 2$/lb cheaper. Which is a shame really considering dino bones are a premium product, to me. I'd buy them more often if the were kept out where we can see them and buy only a few lbs. instead of 15#. This time of year you always see the boneless rib roasts in the store and cash-&-carry on sale so the ribs often go on sale to.

I guess that makes me boring and cheap.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »
No, it makes you sound interesting and cheap. Now I want to go shop at Albertsons for some ribs.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
Your snake girth is very thin in multiple locations. ie. there are only 1 row of briquettes touching. If it ashes the wrong way and loses contact with the next one then your temps will plummet. It's better to go with a consistent 2x2 or 2x2x1 snake with staggered briquettes so that the fire chain continues to burn. You can then fine tune the temp with the vent.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »
3X2 for the 26er works awesome for me.   2X2 for 22's.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!