Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mini WSM with stuck pot  (Read 1277 times)

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Mini WSM with stuck pot
« on: December 13, 2015, 04:05:26 AM »
I have never ask this question on this forum. Last year I built a mini using a SJS and a 32 qt
Aluminum pot that I bought from a restaurant supply site. ( I couldn't find a viscona if my life depended on it !) anyhow the pot had no lid with it and is really thick walled. It fits the SJS perfect
But as soon as I get the coals lit and place it on the base it stick so tight
I can not separate it.  Originally I only had hold drilled in the bottom
So I figured heat expansion. So I cut out the bottom. Still stuck.. I put
Felt heat resistant gasket around the rim . Still the same.. Any ideas???
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

TD

• WKC Brave
Re: Mini WSM with stuck pot
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:54:05 AM »
Ice water in a spray bottle, sprayed around rim where pot meets the kettle? Or wet rag to cool around pot bottom? Aluminum expanding more than steel maybe.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 04:58:07 AM by TD »

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »
I have the same problem with my lid on my mini. I have a IMUSA pot. It never sticks to the bowl but the lid was way too tight. I used a grinder with a sanding disk to remove some material off the lip of the pot and finished it off with a file. Fits perfect now. If your pot is thick you might be able to do the same to the bottom.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:17:26 AM »
I crimped my pot in a little and that helped.  Still a little tight when cooking.  I have the IMUSA as well.  Better to be a little tight than too loose.  You just don't want it so tight that when you lift the lid the pot goes with it.

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 12:36:16 AM »
A couple bacon slices between the two would work.
You're welcome :)