Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A bird, a beast, and a spread  (Read 1551 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
A bird, a beast, and a spread
« on: November 27, 2015, 07:13:16 AM »
Turkey, ham, and all the fixings! Bird and ham were cooked on the kettles  ;D 8)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: A bird, a beast, and a spread
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:42:31 AM »
Nice looking beast!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:17:08 AM »
That all looks outstanding!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:45:57 AM »
Fantastic cook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »
Awesome looking bird, beast and feast :)

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:15:31 AM »
Great looking spread! That ham is awesome, did you use the same process as last time? I think we're gonna try one over Christmas.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 06:34:33 AM »
Not bad! Your grandpa would be proud of that bird. How'd you get the color on the turkey?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
Holy cow - what a spread! That ham looks incredible. Should you draw me in the secret santa you know what to send ;D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 08:29:24 AM »
@pbe gummi bear our turkey always ends up that color. My grandfather's method is straight out of Weber's manual for indirect cooking.

Start with 25 lit briquettes per side, drip pan between on the charcoal grate. Add 8 unlit briqs per hour per side (this year we started with KBB and added unlit Stubbs). Normally we add soaked chips but went with a chunk of cherry added at the beginning and when adding the first set of unlit coals. He always went 11 minutes a pound but food safety has progressed a little and I have a Thermapen so we ended up going about 9 minutes per pound. 15lb bird took just about 2 hours 20 minutes.

I had my maverick in the ham but think the kettle for the turkey was running about 325-375. The turkey always sits in a V-rack on the cooking grate over the drip pan.

It takes on color pretty fast so some areas get shaded with a little foil to protect the parts that are cooking a little more quickly (usually the sides of the drumsticks and the breast - drums are closest to the coals on the side and the breast is high in the dome getting pretty good heat).

@WNC yep pork shoulder ham was the same as last time. I actually thought the last one cooked at 250-275 came out a little better than this one that stayed at 225 the whole time. Not sure if it was a difference in the individual piece of meat or what because it wouldn't seem that small of a temp difference would make a difference.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:32:11 AM by austin87 »