Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **Weber-Proudly Made in China!**  (Read 5957 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
**Weber-Proudly Made in China!**
« on: October 27, 2015, 05:15:14 PM »
Just trolling around the interwebs and came across this linky-

I sense a little animosity

http://www.bourlierbbq.com/weber.html

Now, I have bought EZ-Que parts to fit some of my Cajun Bandit applications and have always received excellent service from these folks.

http://www.bourlierbbq.com/E-ZQue.html

just sayin'
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: **Weber-Proudly Made in China!**
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
Those guys are close to where I live, great BBQ store.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 09:02:25 AM »

I believe the Summit and Genesis models are mostly still made/assembled in America with parts outsourced from other country's . But the rest of the gas line is imported and has lost much of its quality . I average selling about 10 higher end Weber gas grills a year , mostly for outdoor kitchens so I've seen the changes first hand , thinner metal for sure , holes don't match up from time to time or parts missing. It's  that sort of attention to detail type thing that bothers me. Weber is taking the path of so many other American companies and taking their jobs oversees when the country is encouraging the opposite , it's sad and why I'll stick to the older units :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Mozfan00

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 08:48:42 AM »
Here here.  I prefer American made when the $ makes sense.  Unfortunately low cost = probably made in China = low quality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

22.5" 2013 Black Daily Cooker "AT" OTG
18.5" 2013 "Bud Light- Carne Asada" Promo kettle
22.5 "1983 Blue "E" OTS & 2002 "DU" SJ

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:32:42 AM »

I believe the Summit and Genesis models are mostly still made/assembled in America with parts outsourced from other country's . But the rest of the gas line is imported and has lost much of its quality . I average selling about 10 higher end Weber gas grills a year , mostly for outdoor kitchens so I've seen the changes first hand , thinner metal for sure , holes don't match up from time to time or parts missing. It's  that sort of attention to detail type thing that bothers me. Weber is taking the path of so many other American companies and taking their jobs oversees when the country is encouraging the opposite , it's sad and why I'll stick to the older units :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree with you more here Ida. Even the Summit and Genesis are not what they used to be.

The important parts - cook box, burners, and grates - are all still great. The problem IMO is the cabinet and it's super frustrating because it would be such a simple fix for Weber. I refurbished and sold over 20 new model (2008+) gassers this year and I bet 35-40% had some sort of rust issue happening down in the cabinet. For the most part the rest of the grill usually holds up great and cleans up really well... Granted I do live in a wet area, but a brand new Summit should last more than 4 years before you start seeing rust down below.

These old Summits are the best gassers Weber ever made IMO. Next clean one I find will more than likely stay in the back yard :)

They are built like a tank. Extra heavy TUBE frame that is powder coated not painted, Solid SS Doors, Side Tables, and Faceplate. I like where the lid pivots on them too - super balanced. They feel more like a commercial unit more than a backyard bbq. [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »
Old is cooler anyways.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

mcgee10

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »
It's this reason alone why I keep rebuilding my ss performer and my old sprite weber gas grill.  I buy nothing from China unless I have to because it unavailable from anywhere else.