Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lavatools Javelin (formerly thermowand)  (Read 2490 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Lavatools Javelin (formerly thermowand)
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:16:40 AM »
Been checking this out for a while and finally pulled the trigger this week so its ready for my thanksgiving turkey smoke.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurate-High-Performing-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHXVQ

I would love a thermopen but a nearly $100 thermometer just isn't in my budget.
My $10 Weber instant read is just too slow. I would have the lid open to long while cooking and it would slow the cook down.

The Javelin seemed like a great alternative for a 1/4 of the price and got great reviews.

I haven't cooked on it  yet but when arrived yesterday and i unpacked and gave the ice water/boiling water tests.

Its a pretty big unit, way bigger then my weber. the big display should come in handy when cooking in low light. The tapered tip is a little less invasive for sensitive cuts too.

Ice Water first:
The ICE water test was accurate but took WAY longer then the 4-5 seconds advertised. It took between 10-16 seconds on a few cooks. I was concerned that i might have an issue but i went forward with the Boiling water test.

The boiling water test was really impressive: It was reading+/-2 degrees of 212 in under 2 seconds. really impressive.

I don't love the slow test on ice water but since most things i test will be closer to boiling then freezing (i guess a med rare steak is close to midway)

I will reserve my full judgement for an actual cook measuring meat.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Lavatools Javelin (formerly thermowand)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:49:10 AM »
@CharliefromLI how did it work for your turkey?

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 01:09:44 PM »
@austin87 really well. For the money ($25) it's great. Used it again last night on some chicken and temps register in 1-4 seconds.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Just ordered two of them for xmas presents.  Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will order me one too!  I usually cook with my maverick and just go by those....I rarely use a handheld.  Even for my turkeys this year, I used multiple maverick probes and just unplugged and plugged in the ones I wanted to see at that moment.  I have 4 probes plus a grill temp probe after replacing my original probes with 6 footers, so I have plenty of extra probes if I need to monitor more than one thing at a time.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!