Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tonight's dinner  (Read 1581 times)

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
Tonight's dinner
« on: November 13, 2015, 03:31:52 AM »
Having the in laws over for both my kids birthdays tonight. Asked the kids what they wanted to eat and they both answered STEAK!  Most of us  won't eat a huge steak, so I got this and will cut 12 steaks at 1.25". Haven't decided but will probably do a reverse sear around the vortex.  Hopefully I don't screw them up

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Tonight's dinner
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 07:20:57 AM »
I did one of these last weekend.  We smoked it, then pulled it off and let it cool down, sliced it into steaks then seared it on a cast iron skillet over the vortex.  It was awesome!!!!  I can't remember what the temp was when we pulled it.  It was medium rare when we sliced it into steaks for searing.  It was basically ready for eating once sliced...the searing was just a finishing touch to give it a little crust and warmth for eating.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:16:17 PM »
Well this cook was a huge success.  Everyone loved the steaks, there wasn't a single bite left on anyone's plate. Froze for a few hours,  then sliced to 1.25" and trimmed silver skin and most fat. I decided to sous vide at 129 for 5 hours, then I cold shocked for an hour while getting everything else ready.  Seasoned with tatonka dust and Fired up the vortex 3/4 full with some hickory and cherry. Took to about 120 and finished with a sear over the top. Made a black peppercorn red wine reduction that really complimented the steak. Also had some twice baked potatoes on the yoder and some salad and bread.  Didn't get a good sliced pic really.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:19:04 PM by bigmikey »

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
Awesome! Can't beat the sous vide/sear combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 11:44:12 PM »
I would say that you got a very good sliced picture. Nice plate of food.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 04:32:23 AM »
Damn, looks great!
I bet everyone was happy!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »
Nicely done!  Making me hungry.  Now I need to figure out what to cook up for dinner.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »
Stellar looking meal! Very nice!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E