Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey Cook Off Thread  (Read 15029 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: Turkey Cook Off Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 11:46:44 AM »
   So many killer cooks and cookers yet again. Thanks  to everyone who posted an abundance of information has been shared and hopefully everyone learned something new , I know I'm still in awe of a few of those birds you guys did , just amazing !

If anyone who participated wants to nominate any one of the cooks posted as a fan favorite , please send me a PM and I'll keep a running tally , thanks to a recent delivery I might just have some swag laying around ;) no biggie if you don't want to vote or if you vote for yourself , but please only vote once.

Thanks again everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »

@jfbincypress does the gelatin help hold the breasts together? What did you put in the 24 hour cure?

The gelatin does indeed hold the breasts together after smoking, during and after the slicing process.

In the cure, I put: water, liquid smoke, tender quick, garlic, whole peppercorns, cayenne, paprika, sage, and parsley.

When I smoked the breasts, I captured the juices underneath along with smoking the turkey bones with carrots, celery, and onions. All that was added to water and simmered overnight in a crock pot to make a gallon of broth for gravies and soups at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 11:27:31 PM »
Yeah, I'll vote in the open. This is in fun, consider it "the short tour," or "Cliffnotes."

I apologize in advance for anyone I slight, or accidentally skip.

And my vote is for Einrej. Less explanation below.

Scott Zee, the lead-off hitter definitely scored tops in the documenting category. We now now the brand, make model, where, when, price, discount, another discount, and then some other amazing price drop. And that he purchased guacamole for Thanksgiving, which gives great CA cred. And that he shaves. We don't know what he shaves. And puts up way better pics that I do. And we know the dietary fiber content of his brine. That's always cool.

MikeRocksTheRed false starts. Runners back to your blocks.

MikeRocksTheRed cooks a really nice breast. It looks better than my entire turkey.

Jdlones cooks a nice turkey.

Firedude5015 cooks a breast on the roti that looked pretty good.

Lightningboltz had crispy looking skin on the roti shot, but a blurry plattered shot. Probably because of the difference in height between Weber and ceramic grilling things. Probably still better than mine.

Brawndo had a short and sweet entry with a great looking shot from the top, including the plastic pop-up thing! Looked good! (the turkey, not the pop-up thing.)

Harleysmoker impressed with an beautifully seasoned bird that included the only popped-up pop-up thing. Still looked perfectly cooked.

Saugust displayed the exploding stuffed deboned bird. This might be the best meal, it's hard to go wrong with sausage.

iCarry cooked an immaculate spatchcocked turkey.

Brewtownbeatdown showed us how to do a really nice spatchcocked bird. And that a coffee can can be used as a roti motor rainshield. Good to know. And he apparently made his own butter. He did not disclose churn time on that.

Stu Clary went with nice looking brined breasts.

Jon overcooked a turkey by 10 degrees and felt shame. But has Beer Dog.

Einrej cooked turkeys on some beat up old kettles. These would be my top picks. The turkeys. Maybe the kettles, too. But the bananas on the table really puzzle me. Banana Thanksgiving?

Jcnaz cooked a velociraptor, and is eliminated from the competition as not having cooked a turkey. Ummmm, velociraptor!

Jfbincypress did the sensible thing, and created a uniform roll of turkey meat that would cook evenly and probably was the best white meat of the day, just on technical stuff that I'm not qualified to judge.

SixZerofour made an elaborate brine, apparently in the dark of night. Then roti'd his bird to a crispy charred goodness that looked impressive. And he has Weber S&P shakers. Bonus. And he cooked his Yorkies, I don't know what those are. I know the dog breed, but I don't think that is what he meant.

Bob BQ encaged a pumped-up breast and roti'd it to some good looking food. On a really nice kettle.

SmokenJoe WSM'd a really good looking bird that would be my number one. Except Einrej made two.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 07:03:55 AM »
Any possibility that everyone who entered can post a sliced pic or pics of their bird if they don't have one posted yet?  Maybe just add it to their initial post, then put a note at the end of this thread that you have updated your post?  I'm having a tough time deciding who to vote for.  Lots of really good looking birds without pics of the sliced product!

@Jon - Nice recap and review!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »
I am kind of late to the party.......

Injected, rubbed, smoked on WSM over apple wood....
Injected with Creole butter. Rubbed with weber kicking chicken. smoked at 324 for 2.5 hours. One of the best I have done!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:56:45 PM by Tommy B »
Hotty Toddy!

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
Nice plate of food, Tommy.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
That plate shot is killer! Good work, man!
Growing family = growing kettles!

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 09:29:43 PM »
some great looking cooks.  My vote goes to 604. 

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »
Thanks Jon.

604 just helped me make a decision. I will be getting a rotisserie and making dizzy meat. Thanks. Now I just have to try to find one on CL. Never seen one there though so might be buying new.

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 03:28:16 AM »
Make your own Weber rotisserie for $30.00
You will need
1 Old Weber
1 Universal rotisserie kit, home center about $30.00
1 Thermometer for the lid about $6 at the home center. You will not know your cook temperature without this.

1. Drill 2 5/16 holes, one inch below lower kettle rim, in the center of the kettle parallel to the wheels.
2. Run spit rod through holes, mount motor bracket on left side. Bracket will have to be shimmed out do to curvature of kettle.
    Do not attach bracket without shims for this will add heat transfer to the bracket and motor.
3. I sawed off the non-point end of the skewer rod so only a few inches protrude when in use.

Rotated this Turkey on New Years day. Five hours on the grill, one hour in the oven due to low light conditions outside. This is the best Turkey I have ever had, in one word, spectacular! Twenty one pounds of gastric delite.

With the Turkey on spite, load squire from right to left. First into the right hole, then back into the left hole, and then into the motor. Move bushing to the right to keep the squire from walking out of the motor.
E
Questions?

Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 03:31:39 AM »

Thanks Jon.

604 just helped me make a decision. I will be getting a rotisserie and making dizzy meat. Thanks. Now I just have to try to find one on CL. Never seen one there though so might be buying new.

Good luck! I was able to find one on CL for $95 + tax, at a local Amazon re-sale shop. New in box, never unpackaged, and works like a champ. Great purchase, for sure!

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 05:02:11 AM »
Over the summer I found a roti, BBQ System grate with Wok and skillet, a rib rack, and a few non-Weber accessories for $50. All brand new. I know it was a crazy deal. But crazy deals can be had!

Growing family = growing kettles!

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 06:35:29 AM »
oops, posted new pics...moved them to original post
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »
oops, posted new pics...moved them to original post

OH YEAH!!!!!  That meat looks sweet!  White meat looks perfect, dark meat looks done and with not random blood spots!  Definitely a contender now.  Thanks for posting sliced pics!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 09:49:13 AM »

Yeah, I'll vote in the open. This is in fun, consider it "the short tour," or "Cliffnotes."

Brewtownbeatdown showed us how to do a really nice spatchcocked bird. And that a coffee can can be used as a roti motor rainshield. Good to know. And he apparently made his own butter. He did not disclose churn time on that.

@Jon
You got me on the butter. I'm not Amish. Shoulda been "mixed my own butter", not "made my own butter".  There's no way I'd make butter. My wife would be relentless messing with me if she caught me churning.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞