Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A couple scores  (Read 2829 times)

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
A couple scores
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:35:25 AM »
Some good kettle karma came my way on my birthday week.  Ended up grabbing a H-Code redhead and a B-code Smokey Joe on Monday and Tuesday. 

The Smokey Joe is an interesting one where I wish I knew the back story. It was listed on Wallapop and the seller was not a grillfella. He and his wife were collectors and after his wife's passing he was liquidating some things. He didn't know anything about the grill other then it was something that he either picked up at a yard sale or estate sale.

Here are the pictures from the ad. I knew it was older then a C-code because it didn't have the ridge for the grill grate.  He assured me that all of the parts were included, the price was reasonable so I jumped on it without seeing more pictures.

Here is what I found.  Bowl looks good (B-Code), grates are in good shape (little rust on the coal grate)...

But wait, something's missing:

Included in the box is this:

Here she is assembled:

Anyone have any idea how this happens? My guess is that it somehow shipped without a vent and Weber sent the C as a replacement, but I have no idea. If someone has a B-Code SJ vent that they are looking to sell please let me know.

My other find was a cattywampus redhead from a local Craigslist find.  Nice guy, bought the grill new and always kept if covered.  The sweet sunflower cover that is seen in the top left corner of the Ad pic came with it too.

Ad picture:

Grill at pickup:

He didn't give me any idea why the ash catcher ring was there and didn't have a pan to go with it.  If someone has an old style ash catcher pan that they want to part with I'd like to install it.

Wanted: Burgundy 18"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A couple scores
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:42:57 AM »
The ring was sitting there because he figured he could add it but then realized the leg sockets don't have the necessary slots to clip it into. Bring the ring up, letting the tabs bend back inward even more, and secure each around the leg sockets with radiator hose clamps.

The One Touch sweeps are probably gone or shot (handle seems missing here?) so get a new H style replacement. The ash bucket can be had from Amazon. Just don't buy the newest ash bucket model unless you don't mind modifying the ring to work with it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:16:17 AM »
Nice pick ups!
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:20:59 AM »
Nice pick up! They would be a nice addition to anyone's collection.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:57:31 AM »
Great grabs there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 02:13:03 PM »
Nice finds

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
Nice Birthday presents for sure!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 08:20:33 PM »
Nice! I almost contacted the seller of the red one but I figured 6 redheads is enough for me. lol. Congrats

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 04:52:16 AM »
Glad to see another club member got that $25 redhead STEAL! It would have been in my backyard had my car not broken down on Monday morning. I spoke to the owner about coming down to Bel Air Monday night and I'm not shitting you, literally 10 minutes later my car rpm's started going haywire. Its under warranty so I took it to the stealership, where it took them FOUR days to determine that it had a faulty ignition coil.

C'est La vie!
Enjoy it though, you got a great deal.
SMOKE THIS!!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 05:31:10 AM »
Nice finds!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 09:08:30 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke I'm sure that's what happened with the ring. The one touch sweeps are in good shape and work well. Unless I find a pan that fits this ring I will probably leave it alone.

@downthehatch I hesitated because it's my 2nd redhead, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

@cochise it probably would have been yours had your car not broken down. I emailed him within the hour of the posting, but missed his phone number. He emailed me back Monday morning and I got it at lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »
Beautiful

Sent from a rotary phone

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
nice finds, beautiful red!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »
Love me a Redhead! Nice clean SJ score!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......