Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to remove teh Control arm on my One Touch Gold Kettle  (Read 2686 times)

byounghusband

• Happy Cooker
How to remove teh Control arm on my One Touch Gold Kettle
« on: November 06, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »
I'm trying to remove the Control arm on the ash sweepers so that I can bend the sweepers back into shape so they seal the lower vents properly.  It was kinda dark on my Patio  last night and I couldn't figure out if the control rm twists to pull it out or do you have to drive it out.  I'm either gonna repair (bend) them back in shape so the seal, or buy new ones, but I gotta remove them first.

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks.
Bob Y
1 2015 22.5 " Performer, 1  Vortex, 1 Slow 'n Sear, Weber Griddle
1 (F)UDS - Yes it's THAT Ugly!!! 1 Ancient Lil' Chief

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: How to remove teh Control arm on my One Touch Gold Kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

byounghusband

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 09:48:47 AM »
Mac,
Thanks MacEggs!!  That is EXACTLY what I needed!! 
Thanks to Gummi for posting that answer earlier!!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:52:53 AM by byounghusband »
Bob Y

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 09:51:44 AM »
@byounghusband when I got my 18" OTG the ash sweeps didn't sit flush with the bowl. Before you try to bend them, make sure they are in the correct order (they should have 1, 2, and 3 on them but it might be hard to see if the sweeps are dirty). I believe 3 goes on the bottom, then 2, then 1 on top.

http://c929377.r77.cf2.rackcdn.com/OTG_18.5_22.5_assembly%20Guide_2012_54243_090111.pdf

Each blade is slightly different where it connects to the ash sweep handle and they all nest together nicely. If the order is wrong it could be throwing you off.

Mine were installed correctly but slightly bent, so I was able to give them a slight over-correction, install the handle, and when they tightened down they fit great.

byounghusband

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 10:12:47 AM »
Thanks for that tip Austin!!  I think I will remove and bend each one to keep them in order. 
Bob Y

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 10:18:08 AM »
My one touch on my 96 (ER) performer doesn't do as good of a job at cleaning the ashes as my bro-in-law's one touch on his DD OTG.  I noticed his sweeps go all the way past his vent slits where mine don't quite make it that far.  Is this common to older one touch kettles, or do I have some sort of weird one off happening here.  I could take my one touch apart to confirm that I have it installed in the right order, but I'm not thinking that is the problem.  I can post pictures in a little bit if no one knows what in the heck I am talking about.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 11:53:47 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed

I know what you are describing, as I had that happen too. I took a Performer apart, to detail it, and when I put it back together, the ash sweeps did exactly what you describe.

I took it back apart and rotated the sweeps 180 degrees, same with the little piece that the rod goes through, and put it back together. Problem solved! (At least on mine  8) )

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »
What Jason said, take it apart and reposition it. When on the right way in the closed position the handle should rest against the front leg socket. When in the full open position, it will be almost all the way to the other leg socket.

I like my ash sweep handle on the right side of the kettle as I am right handed. I got one kettle where it was on the left side which was awkward after being used to on the right. I took it apart and switched it to the right side.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »
@Jason -  That kind of did the trick.  Ash sweep now clears the ashes as it should, but my handle location is out of whack with the typical far left is closed, far right is wide open.  I just need to take a little time to remove the assembly all together and reassemble correctly.  I was in a hurry when I did the switch-a-roo the other day, so I'm sure it will work correctly once given the proper time and attention.

@Harleysmoker  - Yup, just need to take the entire thing apart and put it together right!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!