Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chuck roast: Smoked to sous vide cook  (Read 3029 times)

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
Chuck roast: Smoked to sous vide cook
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
Marinated the chuck with fresh ground pepper, garlic inserted into slits of the meat, and beef broth overnight.

Put in an aluminum pan on top of onions, sprinkled the roast with sea salt and some more pepper. Added broth, hot sauce, and dried thyme to the base of the pan, and put on the weber mini smoker build for a few hours at a low smoke (175-200 degrees) with pecan wood.

Once it reaches 130 degrees internal temperature, I'll pull it from the smoker, vacuum seal, and chill overnight in the fridge. Then I will start it in the sous vide Monday morning for a 36 hour cook @ 135 degrees (pics to follow after the smoke, and after the cook).

Meanwhile...had to make a quick snack while smoking and watching football, so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:06:57 PM by jfbincypress »

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
Re: Chuck roast: Smoked to sous vide cook
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »
Mmm, that should be great! Looking forward to the results

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:04:57 PM »
Looks good and sounds like a plan.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Chuck roast ready to be pulled from the mini-smoker:

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 03:43:44 PM »
Vacuum sealed and into the sous vide bath:

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 05:13:05 PM »
Final results...

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
Damn. I want one of those sammiches.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 05:50:50 PM »
After 5 hours with pecan wood on the mini, and 50 hours in the sous vide...Some parts were like butter, delicious meat butter!

Only complaint is that my stomach isn't big enough for seconds.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 06:10:47 PM »
I'm impressed! I'd love one of those 'wiches!

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 07:22:47 PM »
Dude please don't hate me for saying it......but that seems like a hell of alot of work for a chuck roast! It does look tasty though don't get me wrong.
SMOKE THIS!!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 12:16:52 AM »
Dude please don't hate me for saying it......but that seems like a hell of alot of work for a chuck roast! It does look tasty though don't get me wrong.

It's like Coq au vin, taking a lesser ingredient and turning it into something sublime. All those tender young chickens running around, but we need to cook the tough old rooster.

Anyone with a small skill set on the grill can make a good meal with a great rib-eye. Here is me, jumping up and down, holding my hand up. I cook a lot of rib-eyes.

But if you can put a good plate together with a lesser cut, you are a good cook. Skill.

Coq au vin on the grill? I haven't tried that. Good idea! Thank you!

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »
That's the beauty of sous vide, it isn't "work"...you vacuum seal your meat, let the machine do its job, and then you finish it to your liking. It makes the most tender, perfect temperature, from edge to edge,  cook possible. I don't care if you do a sear/cook, reverse sear/cook, whatever...you won't get results like this by any other cooking method (and the possibilities are endless, plus it's another cooking gadget you get to play with!):

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 03:14:50 AM »
@jon let me know how that coq au vin comes out! [emoji106]🏼[emoji106]🏼[emoji106]🏼

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 07:59:54 AM »
@jfbincypress Sorry man I should have scrolled your pic to the left on my tablet. I thought you were just slow boiling the roast in a pot for 50 hours, I didn't see that you had a gadget hooked up on the right side of the pot that monitors the temp and doesn't waste as much energy. Not as much effort as I originally thought. That steak looks killer BTW!
SMOKE THIS!!

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
@cochise no worries, bud...I was green to this style of cooking until a couple years ago.