Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SJS leg clean up  (Read 2639 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
SJS leg clean up
« on: October 20, 2015, 01:49:19 PM »
Just got the Simpsons SJS I won on ebay on Friday.  It's in really good shape but the legs are a bit spotty.  More like watermarks than rust.  I've look around here but haven't been able to find anything about SJS leg cleanup.  Can I use steel wool and metal polish or are theres plated?

Thanks for the input!  Will post pics once I spend the 5 minutes it will take to get it cleaned up!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SixZeroFour

Re: SJS leg clean up
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »
Almost positive they are plated. I've had next to no luck trying to clean up SJ legs (the style you need anyways) and many times find its easier to just order new parts or find a donor Joe to swap with.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 02:23:47 PM »
Almost positive they are plated. I've had next to no luck trying to clean up SJ legs (the style you need anyways) and many times find its easier to just order new parts or find a donor Joe to swap with.

I was figuring just getting new ones would be cheap and easy if they couldn't be cleaned up.  Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway.  I might even be able to just swap the legs our from my 2 month old smokey joe that probably has really clean legs still.  Thanks @SixZeroFour !
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 06:34:05 PM »
Assuming the SJ legs are nickel plated, white vinegar may work for "water spots".  If the legs have rust or anything more extensive than some light tarnishing, the vinegar will not be strong enough.  I've never used this trick on SJ legs, but it works well for nickel brass ammunition rounds that have spots or dirt.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:56:45 PM »
@saxart   Great cleanUP of those SJ legs (August 21, 2013 posting).  My burning question; how do they look today ???                          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 07:36:11 PM »
@SmokenJoe They still look great.  It's basically a "painted" surface now, so it's not affected by garage moisture, etc.  That was two years ago already!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
@saxart  That's great news, I got some legs on a C-Code('81) SJ that I really want to cleanUP and protect w/ clear-coat.  Thanks for the post.  8)                                   SJ           
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »
@saxart -  Great thread, and if vinegar doesn't do the trick I might give that a try!  Your legs came out great and it sounds like they are holding up great as well.

@Santo - Never thought of vinegar despite the fact that I use it to clean pots and pans all the time.  I'm betting this is going to work great, and I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll aslo be PM'ing you about my Duff tools....I found a set NIB that I ordered so you will probably get the ones that came with my grill.

Might even do a combo of cleaning with vinegar then assuming that works, paint them to keep them nice and shiny!

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed - Definitely keep us updated on your progress and good luck with the vinegar.  Sounds good on the Duff tools. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:03:42 AM by Santo »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »
CLR might work if you just wipe it on.  Should work for water spots … Not sure.

I used it with success in removing rust from legs. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/rust-removal/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.