Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It's Settled  (Read 6021 times)

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
It's Settled
« on: October 16, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »
So I gave it the ole college try but I must admit I'm a lump man through and through!  Sorry briquette dudes. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:13:57 PM by Lumpy Coal »

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: It's Settled
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
Which ones did you try? I think briquettes have their uses but I've really been enjoying the Royal Oak lump I got on sale a couple of months ago.

And to each their own. If lump is your thing, more power to you!

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 01:43:41 PM »
Maybe if I were smarter I would understand what the F you are talking about - not that I really care 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »
Never say never till you try Coshell.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »
I still have not tried lump.  My Dad always used Kingsford briquettes so that is what I have always used.  Sometimes break out some Kingsford Competition, but not often.  That stuff smokes way to much when getting the chimney going.  Finally ran out of charcoal last night and missed the labor day sales due to vacation, so maybe it's a good time to try out Lump.

To any of the AZ guys here ( @1911Ron @jcnaz @Winz @AZ_MIKEY )  Does charcoal ever go on sale out here between labor day and the spring?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
Sheeeeit!

Go Coconut Shell or stay on the deck!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »

Never say never till you try Coshell.
First time I've heard if it![emoji50]

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »

Which ones did you try? I think briquettes have their uses but I've really been enjoying the Royal Oak lump I got on sale a couple of months ago.

I tried Kingsford briquettes.  Royal Oak Lump is my go to.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 02:11:03 PM »
So I gave it the ole college try but I must admit I'm a lump man through and through!  Sorry briquette dudes.

Dude, you give up too easily.  I must admit that I use lump most of the time, but nothing beats briquets for a snake / fuse.
I like to use briqs for butts and brisket …. Low 'n' Slow.  :) :)

@swamprb , how is that stuff?  I have seen it for sale in our local classifieds.  Was a little too far away to make the effort.
I still need to try that bag of Coshell @MrHoss …. Sorry, dude …  :-\ :-\  I don't grill as much as you.  :-[ :'(
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
@ MacEggs
I went in on a pallet a couple years ago with my teammate and a few other PNWBA cooks. Everyone that ordered them love them. I usually mix some in with briqs or LUMP for long cooks. A little bit goes a long way! 

Better product than the Coshell briqs IMO, but I'm not knocking Coshell. They just are not readily available here anymore.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:18:19 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
I tried Kingsford briquettes. 

There are much MUCH better briquettes to try than Kingsford.
Way better.
Royal Oak red bag briqs, Royal Oak Chefs Select, Stubbs, Trader Joes, Coshell, Embers... and the list goes on.
IN MY OPINION, Kingsford is amongst the worst.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »

I tried Kingsford briquettes.  Royal Oak Lump is my go to.

Yeah man I have to agree that you tried the bottom of the barrel. Coshell is good, I really like Stubbs. Regular old Kingsford blue bag (know as KBB) is the LAST charcoal I would pick to use for anything. It works OK for a snake and some guys use them in their WSMs, but it's at best mediocre. I do like Kingford Competition. Of course, any shitty ole charcoal is better than cooking something in the oven 8)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »

In defense of KBB = when it's $9.80 for 37 lbs of charcoal, it is pretty hard to pass up.  I use it all the time for WSM-style cooks and for building a snake.  Sometimes I will mix it in with lump for low and slow cooks to provide some stability and duration to my fuel supply.

If money is not a primary concern, I agree that there are vastly better alternatives, even for low and slow.

For everyday grilling (direct/indirect) I almost exclusively use lump plus a nice chunk of smoke wood.  Much better flavor.

@MikeRocksTheRed - I just moved here in April and am not aware of any other seasonal sales. 

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 03:22:33 PM »
I tried Kingsford briquettes. 

There are much MUCH better briquettes to try than Kingsford.
Way better.
Royal Oak red bag briqs, Royal Oak Chefs Select, Stubbs, Trader Joes, Coshell, Embers... and the list goes on.
IN MY OPINION, Kingsford is amongst the worst.

Man.... If I could get my hands on on some Wicked Good Briqs, I would be a happy camper! Still have a stash of 6 bags of Original Rancher and some of this - Maple Leaf Briqs! If you can get it or the Lump do yourself a favor!

KBB is so predictable, I can count on it and its got its place.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
I use KBB and have for years , but I seriously taste something off with the new formulation. It's almost like a lighter fluid taste. I'm thinking of making a change

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs