Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1st Craigslist find  (Read 3269 times)

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
1st Craigslist find
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »
Posted this in the introduction page but figured I may get more replies here.

Got my first kettle a few months back at home depot. Picked up a vortex for it and really enjoy it. Been keeping an eye out on Craigslist for other kettles and came across this one for $15. Went to look, nicest little old lady.  Said her and her husband got it for a wedding gift in 1963. Wheels are kind of messed up, may not be original. Rest is not in horrible shape. Going to try to clean it up in next few weeks. Please enlighten me on its age or condition.

Thanks

micky

• Smokey Joe
Re: 1st Craigslist find
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 08:53:46 AM »
I'm much too new to enlighten anyone, but congratulations on your find.

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:00:24 AM »
I've heard from a couple people that the lid and bowl don't go together.  Possibly that the bowl was warrantied out at one point.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 09:11:50 AM »
I think the wheels are original, and the lid and the bowl date back to the early 60's.  So strange that its a red lid and black bowl (surprised they didn't have anything to say about that, but as you'll see if you poke around long enough, most people love anything red, and that's over 50 years old with the metal handle.  We call them WoodDales, because of where they were manufactured (see lid vent-the WKC is very creative at times). Can't wait to see it all cleaned up.

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 09:25:13 AM »
According to what I just read in age guide, the wheels were updated from thin white to black with white walls around 62, and metal handle was replaced by wood in 64, making this a 62 or 63. Still doesn't explain the color combo. It looks almost exactly like the 63 Plainsman I saw on here but different colors.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »
Grate find, even with the mismatched bowl and lid! What do the vent tabs on the bowl look like? Are the tabs rounded, or square? Do the leg sockets have thumbscrews on them?  That info will give us more info regarding age of the bowl.

@Craig , would love to hear your thoughts on this one...

Congrats!!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:29:38 AM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:29:27 AM »
Seems likely that you could find a black lid if you want them to match.  Or you could choose to go ahead and keep both items -- while the color combo might not be original, there is no dishonor in making something useful and loved out of something with history.  (That's what I tell my husband.)

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 09:34:11 AM »
The tabs are rounded, and the legs have thumbscrews. She said it was a wedding gift and was always red and black.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
That's a cool and interesting find! Who knows, maybe there is a best man out there somewhere with the reverse matching kettle... Blackhawks fans? ;) ;D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 10:21:48 AM »
Don't be using the vortex on the old Kettle......the high heat weakens the lid handle welds. Beauty find....saw this over on facebook.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
1st Craigslist find
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »
Everything is Wood Dale correct , except the mis matched bowl and lid , it's possible he bought it that the way , but I doubt a salesman would want to break up a set, you just never know.  The Red MLH is very rare and the thumbscrew bowl is also cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:41:15 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »
Wow that's cool! A mix matched Wood Dale, I don't think we've ever seen one of those...

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 04:27:08 AM »
Is there a better way to clean these old ones than steel wool? I plan on getting a razor handle and a bunch of razors. What about the spots on lid where bare metal is showing? Any ideas there?

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 05:10:22 AM »
Bacon grease or vegetable oil on the bare metal

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 05:10:32 AM »
Sweet find as well!