Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time rib cook  (Read 2840 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
First time rib cook
« on: October 11, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »
I will be cooking St. Louis style ribs on my 22'' for the first time.  I will probably use the bank method to keep the temp down though I just got some fire brick and my try that method.  I also have the baskets.   Any input from you guys on the best way to cook my ribs?  Hope you guys had a nice weekend and some good cooks!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: First time rib cook
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »
i don't think there is a "best way" to cook ribs. there are, however, many ways to cook them. if you want to take your time, you can do them low & slow using the snake method. if you want to do them faster, I've had good results doing them hot and fast(basket of coals on each side, slab in the middle) in under 3 hrs.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 09:13:01 PM »
I use the snake method for low and slow, actually i use a modified snake shaped like so ( ) or (( )) and the put 4 or 5 lit on the bottom left side and the same amount on the top right end and then put what ever i'm cooking in the middle, i would set the bottom vents about 1/2 to 3/4 open and top vent wide open.

As mrbill has said there is no "best way" to cook ribs, just different ways of doing it.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »
Thanks for your input. I now have a basic idea on what to do.  Will let you guys know how it turned out.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »
I'm a modified 3-2-1 method guy. Magic stuff happens in that foil pouch. And that magic goes great in a pot of beans.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »
Ahhhhhh, drip pan beans w/ ALL the fix'ns (onion bits, garlic bits, red/green pepper bits, mushroom slices, black olive slices, jalapeno bits, brown sugar, dry mustard, bacon/ham bits, and my secret ingredient).                           SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »
My ribs turned ok. Not perfect but for the first time not to bad.  I used the bank method with fire brick.  I had to add extra charcoal only twice.  My rub was great and the sauce was awesome.  I just needed to cook them a little longer.  Next time I will use the snake method described by 1911Ron.

Here is a pic of my first time ribs. (click on link)

http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2015/10/13/001.md.jpg

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 11:13:10 AM »
They look pretty good to me!

I usually smoke mine at 225-250 for 2 hours, wrap in foil with a splash of beer or apple juice and cook for another 2 hours at 225-250, then unwrap and sauce over medium to high heat.  Never had them turn out bad, and I've never taken a temp on them.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 01:47:01 PM »
They look tasty. I don't wrap them myself. I cook them at the usual temps (225-250) for at least 4 hours. I typically use the bend test to check for doneness. They've always turned out well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »
They look pretty good to me!

I usually smoke mine at 225-250 for 2 hours, wrap in foil with a splash of beer or apple juice and cook for another 2 hours at 225-250, then unwrap and sauce over medium to high heat.  Never had them turn out bad, and I've never taken a temp on them.

Bingo. I use Johnny Triggs classic honey, brown sugar, tiger sauce and parkay in my foil with a dash of my rub. I find I get the smoke im looking for in the first two hours and am always happy with the tenderness when I foil.

Best of luck with your next rack. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.   
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 11:47:42 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  Maybe next time I will try the wrap.