Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY second grate  (Read 5923 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
DIY second grate
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:40:44 AM »
I know this isn't a brand new idea and I've seen this in multiple posts here, but I put a new twist on a second smoking/cooking grate.

Ordered a 18.5" cooking grate.  Used SS bolts, washers, nuts and wing nuts.  The wing nuts make it really easy to adjust the height.  My grill isn't quite level and yesterday when I put this grate together the wing nuts made it really easy for me to tweak each of the legs to get it level.  Also makes it really quick and easy to raise or lower the entire thing.

I used 5" bolts so I have a large range of height options. I had to use carriage bolts instead of something that would have been snugger to the washers because it was the only option in 5".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:42:31 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
Re: DIY second grate
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »
great job. I like the wing nuts to change the grate height.
Hotty Toddy!

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:13:38 PM »
I wonder how 2 wing nuts and a washer between them would work

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
I wonder how 2 wing nuts and a washer between them would work

That would work fine.  The other versions I have seen of this use just two regular nuts and a washer on the bottom which can be adjust just as easily as two wings nuts.  With my setup, I only have to move one nut per leg.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  true / will the wing nut slide thru the grate if it turns sideways ?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 12:51:06 PM »
 @TexasOnion - At first glance I would have said no, it won't slide through, but with a little bit of weight applied it did squeeze through.  I don't think it will be a big deal as its easy to spot check and confirm the wing nuts are perpendicular to the cooking grate.  I just tried adding the regular nut and washer to the bottom of the legs hoping they would fit right through and act as a catch to keep the washer from falling off, but it also fits between the bars with some weight which means it would be a pain to get off when the grill is hot.  I think I'll leave it as is.  I do have a neighbor who works in a fabrication shop so if I end up with the wingnuts slipping through too often I might have him tack some washers onto the wing nut.  Not sure how hard that would be with SS though.  I'm hoping to use the new grate tomorrow to smoke something so I'll post an update once I have used it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:54:20 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 12:56:34 PM »
3/8" bolts instead of 1/4" might resolve the issue as well....the nuts would be bigger and probably wouldn't slip through.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:30:20 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »
3/8" bolts instead of 1/4' might resolve the issue as well....the nuts would be bigger and probably wouldn't slip through.
  yea I think that would work /// good luck with ur cook

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »
Looks good @MikeRocksTheRed indirect cooking with an "upper deck"  is awesome. You'll be amazed at the capacity.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 04:34:27 PM »
Turn the carriage bolt over and use the head for the feet/double washers/nuts to hold the grate.

Baking cooling racks available at restaurant supply stores are another option. The 3 of these were less $$ than an 18" grate and hardware.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »
Good idea using a wingnut, i use 3/8th bolts on my second grate.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 11:17:42 PM »
...Baking cooling racks available at restaurant supply stores are another option...
I have several baking cooling racks with legs that would work as riser grills and never thought of that. Thank you.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 06:46:26 AM »
@swamprb - I thought of putting the bolt heads down to use as the feet, but the way I have it setup I can easily adjust the height just by spinning a wing nut on each leg.  The other way would involve adjusting two nuts.  It's a work in progresss, so after a few cooks we will see the end result of the trials and tribulations!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
DIY second grate
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 01:34:06 PM »
Have two racks of ribs in my new rib rack then put one upstairs on my second grate so I can break both in at once.  So far so good!  Glad I went with 5" bolts to get the second grate high enough to clear the ribs that are standing up.  Have a probe at the bottom grate and through the top vent so I can monitor the temp at the upper rack.  So far they have stayed within 5 degrees of each other and have been identical a few times. 

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 02:04:29 PM »
Mike, I've never used a stacker grate in my kettle. How evenly did your ribs cook?