Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Insta Read Thermometer  (Read 6645 times)

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Weber Insta Read Thermometer
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
So I was at Lowes today and I saw this. 
I've been wanting get a thermopen but the $130 cnd plus shipping has caused me to wait.  So I saw this for $16 and thought why not?   So far I've only tried it in boiling water and it seems to work pretty good.  Is it a three second thermopen no but 10-15 seconds really isn't that long and it'll beat the guessing game I've always played while cooking meat.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:21:44 PM by Lumpy Coal »

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weber Insta Read Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:59:30 AM »
You might want to get on Thermowork's e-mail list.  I paid retail for my 1st Thermopen and got on their mailing list.  I have noticed that Thermopens are frequently listed for below retail.  Now they may be a close out for a particular color, as an example, I bought a tan one for my son-in-law for $89 USD recently.  I think I recall an e-mail in the past 3-4 weeks offering open box units at $73 USD.

I've directed the e-mails to spam and I just review them every once in a while.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:01:46 PM »
10-15 seconds is an ETERNITY to check temps, especially if you are trying to probe multiple spots on a large roast, whole bird, or check the temps of a bunch of individual pieces. The lid will be off for a long time, causing you to lose heat, or worse, give your fire too much air so it gets too hot and then you have trouble getting it back down.

Get a Thermapen right now for $69 http://www.thermoworks.com/specials/amazing-ribs-deal-of-the-day.php?tw=amazingribs&utm_source=Classic+ThermaPen+Flash+Sale&utm_campaign=ThermaPen+Oct+9+2015&utm_medium=email

or get a Thermopop that takes about 5 seconds for $29 http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html

I don't know if anyone else has experience with the Weber thermometer and if they like it or not, but there is a reason that Thermapen is THE go to thermometer for hobbyists to professional chefs.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:35:28 PM »
Yeah....austin87 is correct when he says "get a Thermapen right now".

I should have gotten one way back when. Instead I have a drawer full of crap I spent 20-40 bucks a piece on AND a back lit Blue Thermapen that sits by the back door. Save some money and get the cat's ass NOW.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 11:49:36 PM »
I ordered a Thermapen M4 last night. My Lavatools Javelin is a fine product that I purchased for under $30. It works as specified. It has no backlight.

With no backlight, the thermometer in right hand, flashlight in left hand. So the tongs I can't work with any remaining appendage, no matter how proud I happen to be of of them.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 02:36:08 AM »
Missed the deal...fml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 04:16:51 AM »
I have this weber and for $10 at home depot its ok but very slow. i am looking to upgrade to:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRFHXVQ?colid=1OLD35A57W3NG&coliid=IL5PCBDDJO9I5&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

I'd love a thermopen but even at $70 for closeout its alot for a thermometer given the amount i'd actually use it. if i competed i'd do ti but im no where near comp level.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

swamprb

• WKC Performer
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 12:07:59 PM »
I have this weber and for $10 at home depot its ok but very slow. i am looking to upgrade to:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRFHXVQ?colid=1OLD35A57W3NG&coliid=IL5PCBDDJO9I5&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

I'd love a thermopen but even at $70 for closeout its alot for a thermometer given the amount i'd actually use it. if i competed i'd do ti but im no where near comp level.

I bought the Javelin for my son-in-law last year for Christmas and it works fine.  He's getting a close-out Thermapen this year.  Might want to also consider the option posted by Swamprb

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
I too am in the market for an internal thermometer.  The ThermoWorks RT600C that Gummi linked to (thank you) is currently available for $15.  I like that price much better than $73, which is what ThermoWorks currently wants for its Classic Super Fast Thermapen. 

Now I do understand that the Thermapen's results are delivered 1-2 seconds faster than the RT600C, and that the longer you leave the grill lid up for temperature taking etc, the more heat you will lose.  But I'm curious -- for my basic backyard purposes, how much difference will 1-2 seconds make?  In other words, why shouldn't I get the RT600C now for $15, and get the Thermapen later when I've finished spending money on my SS refurb project? 

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »
I too am in the market for an internal thermometer.  The ThermoWorks RT600C that Gummi linked to (thank you) is currently available for $15.  I like that price much better than $73, which is what ThermoWorks currently wants for its Classic Super Fast Thermapen. 

Now I do understand that the Thermapen's results are delivered 1-2 seconds faster than the RT600C, and that the longer you leave the grill lid up for temperature taking etc, the more heat you will lose.  But I'm curious -- for my basic backyard purposes, how much difference will 1-2 seconds make?  In other words, why shouldn't I get the RT600C now for $15, and get the Thermapen later when I've finished spending money on my SS refurb project?

for what it's worth, here is my humble opinion. the thermapens are awesome. no doubt about it. for competition cooks or those running a business, the fastest read they can accurately get is worth the extra money spent for speed of read.
other than that, unless you're cooking a lot of different meats, a slower read will do you just fine.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
Makes sense to me, MrBill. I'm gonna order the RT600c while it's still available at $15 -- I'm sure it will serve me just fine.

Nick S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 06:29:53 PM »
Makes sense to me, MrBill. I'm gonna order the RT600c while it's still available at $15 -- I'm sure it will serve me just fine.

I ordered two of those last week, seems like a great deal to me!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 06:56:31 AM »

for what it's worth, here is my humble opinion. the thermapens are awesome. no doubt about it. for competition cooks or those running a business, the fastest read they can accurately get is worth the extra money spent for speed of read.
other than that, unless you're cooking a lot of different meats, a slower read will do you just fine.

I agree completely.  Because I cook at our dock and at the house I don't lug my lava tools javelin pro back and forth between the two spots so the cheap on Weber resides at the house where I cook less and it does just fine for its purposes.  If I'm doing a long smoke I'm generally using the Maverick 733 anyway.  IMO the first order of business is a decent remote with at least two probes so you don't have to babysit a long cook.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM