Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Convert daisy style vents to an ash catcher?  (Read 4812 times)

Bradstai

• Happy Cooker
Convert daisy style vents to an ash catcher?
« on: October 06, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »
Hi wondering if anyone has ever removed the daisy style vents and installed the new style one touch ash catcher and can? 

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Convert daisy style vents to an ash catcher?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 05:02:53 PM »
May I ask why? IMO the daisy wheels are way better for temp control.
Still need a 22” yellow

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
Not impossible but extremely difficult. Easier to just get a one touch kettle IMO.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 05:59:23 PM »
I don't own or have every cooked on a daisy wheel kettle but I am trying to visualize how you would do it seeing all daisy wheels have 4 holes in each 1 and a 1 touch has 3 oval slots total.

How would you control the temperature when you want a slow cook? I guess it would work for chicken when you want all vents wide open

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 06:20:25 PM »
not worth it imo. aside from the trouble of doing so, you'd have the negative aesthetics to deal with should you succeed. if you want to do so because the daisy wheels are shot, new wheels plus screws and washers will make them functional again. if you just want a one-touch kettle, just get one.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »
Take a look at the hillbilly ash cans on these daisy dukes!

I should have taken better pics, but this guy had cut holes in the pans and used galvanized buckets for ash cans on the three wheelers!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 11:58:19 PM »
You don't want to do this, if you are lucky enough to have a 3 vent kettle you want to keep it that way.  Some WD-40 will keep the vents working okay.  I would much rather control temp with the daisy vents.  For low and slow, I close two of the vents and just work with one, but with one vent you can get the temp down low and get a long burn.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:12:57 AM by BBQ Jack »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 08:35:58 AM »
You don't want to do this, if you are lucky enough to have a 3 vent kettle you want to keep that way.  Some WD-40 will keep the vents working okay.  I would much rather control temp with the daisy vents.  For low and slow, I close two of the vents and just work with one, but with one vent you can get the temp down low and get a long burn.

Exactly.
Still need a 22” yellow

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »
Not a fan of daisy wheel vents at all. Hate them actually. One touch control is the way for me. There is a reason why Weber abandoned the daisy wheel vents long ago and switched to one touch.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
Webers in Mexico, and I imagine other regions are still available with daisy wheels. And Mexicans know how to cook meat over fire.
Still need a 22” yellow

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
I grill on a deck with one touch grill with the ash can.  I'm not sure I would trust the daisy wheels and pan on my deck. 

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:30:43 AM »
I have both one touch grills and daisy wheels and prefer the fire control flexibility that the daisy wheels offer.  Weber did have reasons to make the switch:  one touch system is easier to manufacture (end user assembles vent assembly vs three separate rivet operations in house); one touch cleaning is simpler/easier to clean and permits ash bucket system.  With respect to the original post, my advice is to learn to cook on your daisy wheeler before trying any vent control mods.  My .02...
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »
I love and prefer cooking on my daisy wheelers for temp control. They account for 95% of my collection. They are not hard to work with before, during or after a cook. Yea I get why Weber made the switch (user convenience, less to make in house) like mwmac said above. But if you really want a One Touch, I recommend picking one up. Try both styles and see what you like.