Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The weber pizza stone?  (Read 4154 times)

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
The weber pizza stone?
« on: September 19, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
Thinking on getting one, already have gourmet grate. Good , bad ,ugly ?Don't want to buy the pizza oven extension.
Anyone using a vortex for pizza under a stone?
Just got a line on some really good thin crusts.

Other alternatives?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The weber pizza stone?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 11:34:16 AM »
your stone is going to get way hot and probably burn every crust
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 01:04:39 PM »
Don't use your vortex under the weber stone. It will break. If it doesnt, you'll burn the heck out of your crusts. Elevate your your stone. The easiest thing to raise the stone is to use the charcoal baskets. Spread your coals around the perimeter of the grill. Let the stone preheat for a while and you should be good to go.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
The weber pizza stone?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 04:18:08 AM »
Here's a thought , vortex upside down, coals around perimeter & stone inserted in grill?
Large vortex used
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:19:56 AM by Jack Fate »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 04:30:28 AM »
I think that would work great
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »
I think the kettlepizza stone has the highest heat rating...pricey tho
Grills

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 05:55:59 PM »

I think the kettlepizza stone has the highest heat rating...pricey tho

Thanks good to know

So anyone doing pizza with a stone and no additional pizza oven kits?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 08:19:58 PM »
Kiln shelves from pottery supply stores make good pizza stones and can take a lot of heat.

http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=sps_ecat&Category_Code=KS
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:25:43 PM by ClubChapin »

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 04:54:47 AM »

So anyone doing pizza with a stone and no additional pizza oven kits?

I use to before I got a KP. Follow my setup above and you should be good. I still use this method for my deep dish pizzas. Here's an example with my cheapo pizza stone. Only thing different with this pie is that I banked the coals only 3/4 the way around the perimeter and rotated the pie half way through the cook.

Deep dish.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:06:18 AM by Nate »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 06:04:35 AM »
I just have a stone and it works great.  Don't put the stone directly over the coals unless you want the bottom to taste like charcoal.  Give yourself plenty of time to preheat.  You can save yourself a lot of frustration by using parchment paper instead of cornmeal when you are starting out.

AnotherPintPlease

• Smokey Joe
    • Another Pint Please
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 01:35:07 PM »
I just have a stone and it works great.  Don't put the stone directly over the coals unless you want the bottom to taste like charcoal.  Give yourself plenty of time to preheat.  You can save yourself a lot of frustration by using parchment paper instead of cornmeal when you are starting out.

The parchment paper is a great tip and wow, those pizzas look fantastic!!

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 06:55:28 PM »

Three  questions

You appear to have coals around perimeter & a basket of coals above ? So you rotate The pizza ?

What is that grate your using?

Thanks

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 05:18:39 AM »
Yes at @Jack Fate you rotate half way through. I have done a few pizza cooks and they are crowd favorites:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/vacation-domination-(4-cooks-in-7-nights)/msg184503/#msg184503
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/pizza-2-0/msg176821/#msg176821
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/finally-did-pizza/msg175452/#msg175452

I used @Nate 's design using a raised grate on bolts. My grate is an a cooking grate from my 18.5 kettle on 4 inch bolts and washers. It works as a pizza stone lifter and a DIY hover grill when i want extra grate space for cooking indirect on my performer.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/it's-a-triple-threat/msg178850/#msg178850

The Absolute key is letting the stone preheat slowly. If the stone isnt hot you wont cook evenly. Get the stone nice and hot and you will cook pies in minutes. watch the bottom and rotate and you'll be fine. 
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 06:24:49 AM »
@Jack Fate
The baskets below are in a horseshoe around the stone and a basket on the grate.  Or the horseshoe with a big chunk of wood at the back under the grate.

Yes, you have to rotate the pizza.  You would have to do that with almost any set-up.

I have a Stok grate with the pizza stone, the griddle and the regular center that matches the rest.