Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: For Post #1000 I'd Like To Introduce!!! (Long, but hey...)  (Read 6298 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
For Post #1000 I'd Like To Introduce!!! (Long, but hey...)
« on: September 05, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »
My New Thumbscrew Avocado!!!

So here's the story. Last Sunday I was searching on craigslist and saw this ad posted

It was for a sort of vintage flea market that's held the last Sunday of each month. The ad says the doors open at 9:00 and we live about 30 minutes away. I'm super excited because, well, it's a thumbscrew avocado, and grills like this do not show up around me very often (or at all really). Anyway, I tell the wife we've got about 20 minutes before we need to leave, because, "We have to be the first ones there." In the car I explain our strategy: Find grill first, don't be distracted by other pretty things, and then we can shop to your heart's content.

Well we get there right at 9:00, and there's already a ton of people there. I guess they opened early. I literally run across the parking lot, because of course who wouldn't grab that baby up when they saw it, right!? I go around the entire area doing a quick scan, and my heart sinks...it's gone! Nowhere to be found.

About this time I hear my wife calling me. "It's not here," she says "but I just happen to ask one person and they pointed me in the direction of the seller who has it." What?! What are the chances, she does a quick scan, asks the first person she sees after she makes her rounds, and that person knew the seller!

We go to the sellers booth, and sure enough she still has it, she just didn't bring it with her that day. The photo in the ad was from the sale last month, and nobody bought it last month. What?! That just seems crazy, but great. We agree on a price, rather I just accept her first price right away ($45) and agree to work out a time during the week where I can go pick it up.

Turns out, the seller and her son run estate sales for people. The grill belonged to a gentleman who pasted at the age of 101 and his daughter just recently found the strength to start to letting go some of his stuff. As I was leaving with the grill I asked if they could make sure the daughter knew that her father's grill was going to someone who was going to love it and take good care of it.

The gentleman took excellent care of this grill. No major chips, a little bit of rim rash, very very little crazing, and it was pretty clean too. Still had charcoal inside banked to one side and snuffed out. The cooking grate has some rust and mold, no ash pan, and at some point he had replaced the wheels with some craftsman lawnmower wheels. So I cleaned it up, replaced the wheels, and threw on an old twist pan from one of my '80's for the pics.   

This is by far the oldest and best condition grill in my collection. First three wheeler, first MBH, first avocado, first thumbscrew. This grill represents a lot of first for me and I couldn't be more excited! This might just turn into my daily cooker. 

Now onto the cleaned up pictures!

Lid vent

Nice mist ring and I threw some dark stain on the handle. I think it looks so sharp like that!

Inside nice and clean

Under the skirt

Just like this shot

And the one little bit of over spray that makes it unique

Thanks for looking and reading, if you've made it this far.

And for all the guys out there that struggle to find sweet old vintage grills, that's me too! My first score was a pair of '80's era reds. Now about 2-2 1/2 years later I finally find something else worth getting. In about the 4-5 years I've been into this hobby, I find my third vintage. So keep looking, it'll happen.

Maiden cook will be tomorrow, burgers for the cook off. Can't wait!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:26:41 PM by WNC »

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
Re: For Post #1000 I'd Like To Introduce!!! (Long, but hey...)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »
Good for you. Very nice looking grill, and very nice gesture to request the seller let the family know that the grill would be cherished.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
Beautiful! 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 04:02:16 PM »
That grill is beautiful, Justin!
Congratulations on the 1000.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »
What a gorgeous Cado WNC!! Man that looks sharp with the clean dark handle!

Congrats!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 06:11:16 PM »
I love the Avocado kettles, congrats on the score.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 06:26:15 PM »
Beauty mist ring....congratulations on a splendid old one.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »
Gorgeous grill and congratulations on the find! Avocados are my favorite of the green family. As you say, this was well taken care of. It got me thinking if the man who owned it lived to be 101 then he must have been well into his 50s when he first got it. This has to be one of the nicest examples of a pre 69 Cado yet. They weren't made for long in Cado before Weber retooled the leg sockets. Awesome of you to have them let the daughter know of its plans.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 07:27:04 PM »
Congrats on a sweet score! 

THIS:
And for all the guys out there that struggle to find sweet old vintage grills, that's me too! My first score was a pair of '80's era reds. Now about 2-2 1/2 years later I finally find something else worth getting. In about the 4-5 years I've been into this hobby, I find my third vintage. So keep looking, it'll happen.

is why I know I'll wind up with a limey one of these days…  ;D
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 08:18:38 PM »
That is a beautiful Cado! Congrats!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »
That one is stupendous !!!!!!!!

Great story.....I alway let them know it's going to a good home.....great you could also pass that along to the original person..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »
@WNC   Patience is sometimes necessary to (1) win the heart of your one-true-love, and (2) to find that one-special-kettle, in magnificent condition, that is destined to be the cornerstone of a Weber kettle collection.  Congratulations on your "new/old" avocado, I now have an example to keep me pressing ever onward.              SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 06:44:48 AM »
That looks amazing! Now get it dirty (carefully)

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 07:11:45 AM »
Great grill and great story.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 08:34:52 AM »
Live a thumbscrew avocado, that's one of the few I'm really looking for.....nice one
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X