Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Future of bolt on handles  (Read 7385 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Future of bolt on handles
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »
Like it or not it WILL happen eventually. History has shown that when the lid handle changes, the bowl handles follow down the line. Example, the metal lid handles changed to wood in 1964. In 1981 the bowl handles finally caught up with the lid handles. Now I don't think that this time around it will take 17 years for the bowl handles to catch up to the bolt on lid handles. I see this happening sooner rather than later.....

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »
The plastic wrench will fail. Though I was able to put some nice scratches in my lid before it did. And it hasn't stopped the handle from continuously coming loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
Why no bolt on handle for the WSM?

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:26 AM »
The plastic wrench will fail. Though I was able to put some nice scratches in my lid before it did. And it hasn't stopped the handle from continuously coming loose.

My performer is 5 months old and ive had to tighten handle 3 times already :(
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
Why no bolt on handle for the WSM?

I would assume the lids of the WSM stack in a way where the handles are not interfering when they are stacked up and shipped from the production facility.  The kettle lids can be stacked tight for shipping from the factory with no top handle.  I would figure that's why the handle changed on the lid. 
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Nick S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »

My performer is 5 months old and ive had to tighten handle 3 times already :(

Same here, mine continually comes loose on my new performer. I hate the cheapo nuts they use to. 

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »
My friend has a boltie OTS and I must admit the handle stays cool enough so a glove isn't needed. That said, I'll probably never buy a boltie kettle. (unless we get yellow, white, and gray).   ::)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 07:14:57 AM »
Loctite thread lock....blue medium strength should do the trick and give the ability to remove if desired.  Or even pink low strength. 

Nick S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 11:03:22 AM »
Loctite thread lock....blue medium strength should do the trick and give the ability to remove if desired.  Or even pink low strength.

Have you seen the nuts that come with the bolt on handles? Not sure loctite will work unless you switch the nuts out to regular ones. I'm going to swap mine out for stainless lock nuts and a fender washer. I probably have to use a different bolt to so I can keep it from spinning while tightening the lock nut because the stock bolt has no head.

I'm really considering just finding a new 22" one touch silver with a welded handle and swapping the lid with the bolt on from my new performer.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:31:33 PM by Nick S »

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »

Have you seen the nuts that come with the bolt on handles? Not sure loctite will work unless you switch the nuts out to regular ones. I going to swap mine out for stainless lock nuts and a fender washer. I probably have to use a different bolt to so I can keep it from spinning while tightening the lock nut because the stock bolt has no head.

I really considering just finding a new 22" one touch silver with a welded handle and swapping the lid with the bolt on from my new performer.
Sorry, no I haven't perhaps a change in nut and bolt is required as well.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/12/30/not-a-fan-of-the-new-handle-and-heat-shield-design-no-problem-go-retro/

I just hope they will provide some additional matched color(s) high temp paint...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
That looks real good, @Metal Mike
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 01:59:29 PM »
That looks really nice.  I agree with the colors not matching, I hate that.

Nick S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »
That looks awesome!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 02:27:56 AM »
I can't take credit, Matt did the work & posted it.
I just found the beautiful pictures he took while googling to see how some welds might look
(same link above photo, old "blog" section is MIA)
Great tutorial:
http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/12/30/not-a-fan-of-the-new-handle-and-heat-shield-design-no-problem-go-retro/
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE