Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Moving Suggestions  (Read 3850 times)

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
Kettle Moving Suggestions
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »
I've seen a few other guys around here who are moving in the near future, @Troy and others, and I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice about packing kettles for the move. I'm not entirely excited to break everything down and pack like I would for shipping, but I'm not sure if there are any other good options. Especially for my OTP. TIA for the help!
Growing family = growing kettles!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Kettle Moving Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:31:17 PM »
are you using movers or moving yourself? I think breaking them down is inevitable.

I've had good success with moving blankets and the 19" tv boxes from uhaul. These boxes will fit one 22.5" grill broken down.  55 gal bags also work well for sticking bowls/lids/grates into without the need for extra cleaning.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:17:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Gummi. We're moving ourselves. I'm sure you're right about breaking them down I just didn't want to hear it. Any thoughts on the OTP/performer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »
Plastic wrap is your friend.
Great for moving,  great for shipping

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
I moved from AZ to NY with 13 grills and i packed them if i were shipping them, not a scratch on them. I cant say that for my furniture though.
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 08:49:55 PM »
My performer i took the lid flipped it upsixe down with cardboard to seperate it from the bowl then tape it made it just fine
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:22:01 AM »
Saugust I kept all of my grills assembled except the smokeys. I rented a large uhaul just for the grills and filled it. Used moving blankets in between the grills and tie downs every row or two. SJs were boxed in the top portion of the truck and tied down. Not one grill was damaged and I moved 50+ grills.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 06:42:12 AM »

Saugust I kept all of my grills assembled except the smokeys. I rented a large uhaul just for the grills and filled it. Used moving blankets in between the grills and tie downs every row or two. SJs were boxed in the top portion of the truck and tied down. Not one grill was damaged and I moved 50+ grills.

Great advice!  I'm looking at moving 30+ in the next 6 months....not looking forward to it.

Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:26:09 AM »
You guys must all be moving into bigger houses

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »

Great advice!  I'm looking at moving 30+ in the next 6 months....not looking forward to it.

:o
Where does one store that many grills?  Do you guys have em sitting in the corner of rooms with the lid up, using it like an end table?

AFSOC

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:46 AM »
I would suggest not moving the kettles, sell them prior to the move.  I just became a Weber kettle fanatic beginning in June and have caught the bug....bad!!!!  People relocating is the reason I have become an enthusiast...$5 one season old OTS, $20 OTG and last night I picked up a Q1200 for $30.  I am in the "thrill of the hunt" stage in this hobby and the most fertile pickings for me has been people who are moving that don't want to pack their grills.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »

It sucked moving all of them...but worth it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:51:12 PM by landgraftj »
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 05:50:04 PM »

:o
Where does one store that many grills?  Do you guys have em sitting in the corner of rooms with the lid up, using it like an end table?

In my garage and basement. I have so many now it almost ridiculous.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 05:50:50 PM »
You guys must all be moving into bigger houses

In my case, much bigger. Like 3x the square footage of my old home.