Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My new semi-pimped WSM  (Read 2751 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
My new semi-pimped WSM
« on: August 18, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
Finally have my 22 WSM back.  Had one a couple years back and sold to put the proceeds towards an egg (actually a GrillDome).  Not that I didn't like the Kamado, but I found that for straight up grilling I definitely preferred the Webers.  They just have much more real estate for the money.  So I found I was using the Kamado strictly for smoking, which frankly it was pretty good for.  But when it came to charcoal access for adding more coals, wood, etc. I found it to be a pain in the ass.  So I sold the GrillDome now I'm back to all Webers and I'll sleep better knowing it.

So here she is, my new WSM with a set of casters and a Cajun Bandit Stainless door with compression latch.  I asked the group last week, after ordering my WSM,  whether I should go with the CB door and got a lot of really good, but mixed opinions.  That being the case I was on the fence.  Well, my WSM showed up on my doorstep (huge friggen box) and to my disappointment, when I opened it up one of the dampers on the bowl was bent.  I contacted the seller and they asked my to contact Weber for a replacement, since their customer service is so awesome.  Truly, they are.  I had a new bowl within 24 hours and the seller refunded me $30 for my trouble.  I figured the $30 refund was a sign from God to go ahead and order the CB door.  Hoping for a cook this weekend.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:44:45 PM by mcgolden »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: My new semi-pimped WSM
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 06:45:32 PM »
Good looking setup!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
Well damn that's sweet - I would have done the same thing with that "extra" $30.  Let us know how that first smoke goes.

Cheers -

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:11:07 AM »
Beautiful. Congrats!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 04:34:42 AM »
Beatutiful! 

I'll be in CR next week, and will be much more comfortable there knowing that you're all Weber. 
One of the charcoal people.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 05:50:17 AM »
Beatutiful! 

I'll be in CR next week, and will be much more comfortable there knowing that you're all Weber.

Wow, I didn't think anyone ever came to Cedar Rapids.  Well while you're here, I'll tell you that Cedar Rapids is not exactly known for food.  I'm from the Chicago area, so there's a lot that I miss.  But if you are looking for good barbecue while you're here there is one place that is probably worth checking out.  I've only recently found about it so I've only been there once.  But I do plan on going back.  The place is called Q-Dogs: http://www.qdogsbbqcompany.com/menu.html

Anyway, welcome to CR which now has a totally different aura now that GrillDome is gone (to DesMoines).  :D

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:54:52 AM »
Looks good, and welcome back to the fold.  :D
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 06:39:56 AM »
Looks good, and welcome back to the fold.  :D

I could never leave.  I was just feeling a little dirty for being unfaithful.  ;D

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:09:24 AM »
I'm glad to hear your opinions on the kamado...there was a large BGE here on CL in Vegas for $350...I've been tempted but feeling some of the same feelings you've had.  Even though that's a huge discount, it's a lot of money, and I figure I can do my smoking just as well with my Webers. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:37:03 AM »
I'm glad to hear your opinions on the kamado...there was a large BGE here on CL in Vegas for $350...I've been tempted but feeling some of the same feelings you've had.  Even though that's a huge discount, it's a lot of money, and I figure I can do my smoking just as well with my Webers.

I'm glad the info on the Kamado was helpful.  That was my main reason for going into such detail on it.  They are great in the winter because they are so good at heat retention, but I was always nervous about the damn thing cracking.  Gotta admit, $350 is a pretty good price, but $350 will go a long way on building up your Weber collection too.