Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis 3 restore  (Read 5615 times)

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
Genesis 3 restore
« on: August 12, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »
For some reason I was blocked from accessing the Forum (on this computer ... no problem from my phone) after attempting to upload more than three photos when I originally tried to post this a couple of weeks ago. This situation just reverted to normal today and so I'm giving it another go. The same thing happened this past winter and, like this time, just went away after a few weeks. Strange.

Anyway, I picked up this Genesis in Arizona this winter. I did a basic break down and cleaning in Tucson but just wasn't able to make time to finish restoring her until mid-July. My goodness what a beautiful machine. The i.d. sticker under the gas control panel indicates a 1987 build. It was originally built as a Natural Gas burner but was converted to propane. The original NG parts were still with her and included in the purchase. She was VERY dirty - only about 1/4 inch space between the (cast iron) grates due to buildup of crud!

[I'm still unable to upload any more than three photos. At least this time I'm not being restricted from the site. Has anyone else experienced this sort of behavior? I'm sure there is no site restriction to three photos.... is there?!]

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:48:34 PM by Dale Benson »
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Genesis 3 restore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:25:08 PM »
Outstanding restore Dale. Agree these Genesis models were a true Weber high point in design and quality.

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
looks great
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
Nice job!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:53:38 PM »
Very nice, Dale.

@Troy- moar pic problems
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

rmcmann

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 02:40:01 AM »
Nice. I think that these were the best looking gas grills they made. slats look great

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:39:51 AM »
That is a stunning restore, one thing @Dale Benson  the utility hooks need to be rotated 90 degrees to the rear of the grill.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 05:12:45 AM »
Love this shot:

Weber could have used it to sell even more of these babies back in the day. Your deck, background and red tea pot are PERFECT!!!!!

I have one of these gassers and it really is the only gasser I would ever want for. My family had one when I was a kid and it made an impression. That grill still cooks at my sister's place and mine came from LightningBoldtz.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 06:50:27 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, all. Dang, @LightningBoldtz, you've got a good eye ... I was hoping no one would notice! :-) I realized my error during my first cook when I reached to hang my tongs. Sheesh.

Since I'm not able to add more photos to the original post I'll stick in a couple more here.

Dale

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 06:57:02 AM »
I discovered, interestingly, during this restore that the Genesis 3 differs from the later generation Genesis 3000 in that there were no casters on the 'lift' side of the cart. Just plastic caps on the bottom ends of the tubing. Also, instead of a specialized plastic end piece for the hinge apparatus on the swing-up side tray, the Gen 3 was made of steel and held in place with a small bolt (see photo).

Dale

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »
I saw this grill when you were in Tucson last winter.
HOLY SMOKES!! you really nailed this one Dale. I think that it is about perfect.
Did you upgrade the Flavorizors?
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »
Did you upgrade the Flavorizors?

The Flavorizors were filthy but cleaned up to nearly new condition. Drat! I wanted an excuse to get stainless steel ones. I don't remember for certain which one you saw. I first picked up a 1000 that was in pretty tough shape but decided to keep it for parts after I found this one. Turned out that I didn't really need anything from the 1000. Besides putting on new wood (cedar left over from my recent sauna and deck projects), all I had to replace was the igniter, wheels, and a few of the end caps. I probably wouldn't have HAD to replace the wheels but everything else looked so nice I decided to go for it. The warming racks are a bit rusty in spots but I think I'll just let them get all greasy and let 'em go at that.
Dale

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 12:20:53 PM »
Great pic.  The tea pot really adds to the picture.

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
Amazing work Dale! The handle is a perfect match.
SMOKE THIS!!

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 03:27:31 AM »
... The handle is a perfect match.

Thanks Cochise. Actually, that is the original handle. I just sanded it down and stained it.
Dale