Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: UPDATED: Restored a partially crushed kettle.  (Read 5111 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
UPDATED: Restored a partially crushed kettle.
« on: August 06, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
I got my hands on a kettle that was crushed by a falling tree:

I was able to use a mallet to knock out the dents in the lid and bowl and planned on straightening the leg sockets by tapping with a mallet but they bent back in place by using the legs for leverage. It's pretty straight and level now. Some welds were bent but not broken.

Is this safe to use now or is the repeated bending going to cause future failure? I don't a leg socket collapsing with a bowl of lit coals in it.

Any feedback from the pros is appreciated. After repair pics coming soon
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:30:38 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Restoring a partially crushed kettle.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
I think you'll be fine. The leg welds are quite strong so if they are in tact I would have no hesitation grilling on it. Source: I've tried to undo many Weber tack welds and it's harder than you may think
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 05:16:08 AM »
I hope it was free. 

Most, if not all of the parts (lid and bowl excluded) appear to be in good condition. 

Turn it into a fire pit.  Use the parts for a future rescue.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 07:02:23 AM »
I hope it was free. 

Most, if not all of the parts (lid and bowl excluded) appear to be in good condition. 

Turn it into a fire pit.  Use the parts for a future rescue.

@MacEggs That was the original plan. It was $10, about as close to free as you can get. I bought to strip for parts to update an older OTG thinking the lid and bowl were total losses. I wanted new handles and therm. but there was even more reusable parts

I get an extra hardly used cooking and coal grates both in very good condition     potential savings:    $30
Three new style tool holder handles to update an older kettle                                 potential savings:    $24 or more
Thermo and Bezel                                                                                                   potential savings:    $20
Closed Ash Catcher that can update my brother's OTS                                           potential savings:    $25
Wheels and triangle perfect, legs are good too.

Thats over $100 worth of parts if I had to buy new so i'd say its a good deal for $10 bucks.

That being said: i feel bad scrapping a usable kettle. If i know its safe it should be re-used. Its a slight bit wobly but so it every other used kettle ive ever had and none of them collapsed.

Perhaps its a sign:
I have always had aspirations of custom high heat painting a kettle for tailgating purposes. I've always said i would only paint a kettle that has rough paint since I know painted kettles don't usually work out so well but if this one is going to get scrapped anyway its worth a try.
It will be more of a conversation piece for occasional. if the paint burns i could always go back to flat black as a post apocalyptic Mad Max Kettle!

I would love to hear more feedback from anyone who has dealt with bent leg sockets before. I will do some research as well.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:32:56 AM »
@CharliefromLI , I hear you about the savings.  Nicely done.  I paid the same for one a year ago, then turned it into a fire pit.

Here is a thread of mine with a fire pit stand:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/kettle-fire-pit/

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »
my red 26 had its leg sockets crushed in, even worse than yours.
i used a mallet to push them back out. at first they started going back in on their own, but i tapped them out again.

even though the metal is soft in that area, the grill is holding up just fine. Just don't sit on it ;)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 08:03:10 AM »
my red 26 had its leg sockets crushed in, even worse than yours.
i used a mallet to push them back out. at first they started going back in on their own, but i tapped them out again.

even though the metal is soft in that area, the grill is holding up just fine. Just don't sit on it ;)

LOL Troy i was a Defensive Lineman in College "Just don't sit on it" is a general rule i live by 8)

As im doing more research i'm seeing kettles way worse then this  cooking along.

I think the only "required" work will be tightening the the lid vent. Its spinning so freely that i dont know the grill would cut off airflow right now.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 04:30:07 AM »
UPDATE:

I've done some pretty significan Clean up jobs on some craigslist finds but this was the first truly damaged kettle I have RRR’d.

I used a combination of rubber mallot, 2x4
@Idahawk 's post http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/straightening-a-strap-handle-the-safe-and-easy-way/msg180611/#msg180611
and a little gentle persuasion.

I was able to reshape the handle and leg sockets and straighten this kettle out. Clearly it has sat outside for a few seasons but it cleaned up well using electric stove cooktop cleaner. You can tell the kettle was nearly brand new when it was damaged as the grate cleaned up to practically brand new.

Given what it looked like when I got it I am more then happy with the results. Here are some before and after photos:

The only issue I am still having is that 2 of 3 legs don’t want to come out of the socket very easy. If it needs to be broken down for transport I will have to work on that but there is no immediate need so im not sweating it right now. Considering how often my other kettles’ legs fall out this is the lesser of two evils.  8)

Santo

• WKC Brave
Re: UPDATED: Restored a partially crushed kettle.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 05:55:04 AM »
I imagine it would have been a nightmare to attempt to grill on, but the rake on the original is kinda badass.  Excellent work though, it doesn't even look like the same kettle.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:57:18 AM by Santo »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 06:08:41 AM »
I am very impressed!  Nicely done. :)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 06:31:37 AM »
I imagine it would have been a nightmare to attempt to grill on, the rake on the original is kinda badass.  Excellent work though, it doesn't even look like the same kettle.
Thanks @Santo and @MacEggs I was going to strip it for parts and junk it (as my OP indicated) but now there's no way i could stomach trashing it. It will be either being sent down the line or "re-designated" for a secret project i have been dreaming off for quite some time...

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 09:55:10 AM »
nice work!!! :)
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
Great job on restoring it!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 10:10:20 PM »
Strong work, Sir!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC