Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Questons re: windscreen/hut for winter grilling  (Read 1498 times)

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
Questons re: windscreen/hut for winter grilling
« on: August 05, 2015, 01:58:48 PM »

I have a bit of free time to fill this weekend, so figured I'd build a windscreen or hut for my kettles along the lines of a few options I've seen some members post here.  Better to have it ready than to wish I had time to build one later. 

I have a few questions I can't seem to find answers for though:

1) what is the minimum clearance from the Kettle exterior I should keep for safety? 2 inches?  4 inches?  More?

2) Is a 2 or 3-sided wind screen sufficient, or should I build a complete whole box/hut?  I have enough spare plywood and lumber, and probably enough hardware (other than a few strap hinges), but I'm wondering if a fully enclosed hut provides significant benefit?  I've read that wind is more punishing than the cold temps, but wind here usually blows snow with it.  I suppose a collapsing screen would be easier to store. Hut would keep that white stuff off my toys though.

3) If hut is the way to go, is reflectix beneficial on the inside and outside?  I don't mind buying it.

Note, it gets pretty cold where I live (highs 23 F, lows -30 F) from December to late March and according to this site we had almost 400 cm (around 12 ft!) of snow (though probably only 3-4 ft accumulated at a time).  Man alive, I forgot how much that sucked.

This guy doesn't seem to mind it.

Charcoal rookie, whisky hall-of-famer. Current rig: 3 OTS's acquired second-hand, a Smoke-EZ, Maverick ET-733 and not enough time

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: Questons re: windscreen/hut for winter grilling
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »
Are you talking about putting a charcoal grill in a little enclosed building ?  If that's the plan I'd keep a couple feet of space around the grill , make sure you have proper ventilation out the top of the building as well

I live in the Idaho Panhandle we get plenty of snow and cold temps too  I've always just used my eve or open garage door to shield me and the grill a little when it's gets brutal out , 10 ft of snow is a different ball game , I'd build a cooking igloo :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:19:05 AM »
Was thinking something along the lines of what the member did on this page http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/winter-grilling/15/
He used 4 pieces of 2 foot wide plywood, hinged, and angles a wraps it around his WSM, performer, etc.  I'm curious as to how close you could wrap it around a Kettle though without having to worry, especially if you're smoking a brisket or something.

This thread mentioned a few ideas too.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/i'm-back-and-what-best-insulator-for-wsm/

Building a little cage walled with insulated material and vent holes wouldn't be hard, but if a 2 or 3 sided screen for the wind is sufficient, I'd just as soon do that, and fold it up for storage when it's not needed.

Charcoal rookie, whisky hall-of-famer. Current rig: 3 OTS's acquired second-hand, a Smoke-EZ, Maverick ET-733 and not enough time

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »
I've read, it's not the cold but the wind that changes things so don't bother with insulation...that being said I have not done my own trials.

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 02:37:54 AM »
Thanks Lumpy,  that's where I'm leaning.  Can always add it later.