Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Charcoal Pizza Oven Quandary  (Read 5488 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Weber Charcoal Pizza Oven Quandary
« on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:47 AM »
I've been thinking of purchasing one of these from the UK. I know you guys in the states have had them for a while and I was wondering what you all think of them?
I was going to sell my kamado to fund the purchase because all I cook on it is pizzas and it does a great job but I'd still love to get the weber pizza oven
So what do you reckon?
This

Or this ?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:04:11 AM by Hogsy »
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber Charcoal Pizza Oven Quandary
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:16:23 AM »
I thought you were thinking of fabricating a KettlePizza adaptor awhile back?  Hey! … Wha' happened?

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/kettle-pizza-build-6741/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:20:39 AM »
Also, we don't really have them in the states.  There was a few stores that test marketed them but nothing stocked in a couple of years.  I think somebody ordered one through Amazon Germany with US delivery for maybe $250ish all in?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 05:27:18 AM »
Keep the Kamado, one of the best parts of a Kamado is pizza's, you will destroy a kettle getting a pizza oven hot enough.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't use the Imperial Kamado for a Pizza cooker if you plan to cook them at nuclear temps. 

If it was a ceramic it would be a different story.

just sayin'
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:38:03 AM »
@Nate I think looked into those before deciding on a Kettle Pizza. The flaw I see in the design of the Weber version is the fact that you have to lift the lid, which lets out valuable heat, especially if you want to cook multiple pies in succession.

I think you are better getting a Kettle Pizza or finding a donor lid to cut so the top stays on the whole time and the pizza enters/exits through a side portal.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't use the Imperial Kamado for a Pizza cooker if you plan to cook them at nuclear temps. 

just sayin'

Not ceramic?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
I thought you were thinking of fabricating a KettlePizza adaptor awhile back?  Hey! … Wha' happened?

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/kettle-pizza-build-6741/
Hey Mac I decided to give that project a miss. I was concerned about the amount of heat needed to cook a good pizza and the damage it might do to one of my precious kettles. Even though the kamado does a great pizza I'm looking at thinning the herd a little. I was warned when I started cooking pizza on the kamado not to heat it up too much but after a couple of years of doing it, it still shows no signs of cracking.
But I still need to be able to make pizza with something that's quick and easy to setup and doesn't use a lot of fuel. From what I can tell when using the Weber pizza oven all the lit fuel is centred in the centre of the charcoal grate keeping it away from the sides of the bowl and it can be stored easily leaving me more space.
I was hoping the weber accessory might be the ticket.
So has anyone used the weber product?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »
I have a kettle pizza attachment and have had success with it...once I learned the correct amount of charcoal/wood chunks to use.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 01:17:13 PM »
@KettleCookin do you have the kettle pizza or the weber one pictured above?
                            WKC Collaborator

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 04:03:32 PM »
@Hogsy I have a kettle pizza

http://www.kettlepizza.com

I got it a couple years ago used off eBay I believe.

rich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 04:25:42 PM »
I was able to get one of them Weber Pizza Ovens, and I think the design is a thing of beauty.
When you set the oven, it seals the kettle so well, that no air escapes but from the holes in the back.
The heat that comes from those holes is what cooks the top of the pizza, while the stone takes care of the crust.
Really simple to operate, great Weber logo for the fanboys (like me), and you can store it in a kettle with the gourmet grill and cover with the regular lid.
It's a shame that Weber has not introduced these in the U.S.

I struggle with the features on the site, but if you can search for my handle, you will find at least one post with the damned oven.
I will make my best effort to document the next Time I use it.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »
Thanks @rich . That's what I wanted to hear. How much fuel do you use and roughly how long does it take to get up and ready to cook?
                            WKC Collaborator

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »

just sayin'

Not ceramic?

No.  The Imperial Kamados are clay and they are known to crack under high heat.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 03:33:39 AM »
It's interesting that weber released these in the U.S.A what nearly a year ago and no one has reviewed them. I understand it was a limited release to test the market but if Weber OZ decided to sell them in just one shop over here I'd do my damnedest to get my hands on one.
Makes me wonder what would happen if they decided to sell a Euro colour over there like Blue Wave or Spring Green to test the market, what would there sales be like?
If only a few Grillfellas bought them would it be worth there while stocking them across the country?
Judging by the lack of feedback of the pizza oven on the net I couldn't see them stocking them in all dealers around the U.S.A.
If your average punter can buy an OTS for $100 why would they spend $150 on a pizza attachment.....
                            WKC Collaborator