Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Shorty Midget mod thread  (Read 35863 times)

smokindave

• Happy Cooker
Re: Shorty Midget mod thread
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »
Thanks for the details. I will be sticking with 6" wheels, so that would mean taking an even amount off all 3 legs for me.  That should also mean not needing to drill a new hole in the front leg.  I just need to ask...did you end up with plenty of room to remove and replace the ash can with ease? or do you wish you had taken just a little less off the legs?  Also, since I'm using the 6 inch wheels (and going dual), the 6 inch wheels are 1.5" wide, whereas the 8 inch wheels are 1.75" wide, if I am not mistaken.  Therefore, it looks like I would need to take off about 1.25" off each side of the axle instead to make up that difference in width.  Please let me know your thoughts. 
'00 Black 22.5 OTP, '09 Forest Green 22.5 OTG, '11 Black 22.5 OTG, '14 Black JJ, '14 Black SJS

Antisven84

• WKC Brave
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2017, 10:03:36 PM »

I need to clean it up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2017, 03:49:22 AM »

Thanks for the details. I will be sticking with 6" wheels, so that would mean taking an even amount off all 3 legs for me.  That should also mean not needing to drill a new hole in the front leg.  I just need to ask...did you end up with plenty of room to remove and replace the ash can with ease? or do you wish you had taken just a little less off the legs?  Also, since I'm using the 6 inch wheels (and going dual), the 6 inch wheels are 1.5" wide, whereas the 8 inch wheels are 1.75" wide, if I am not mistaken.  Therefore, it looks like I would need to take off about 1.25" off each side of the axle instead to make up that difference in width.  Please let me know your thoughts.
Sounds like you have a well thought out plan of action.  You won't have any issues removing the ash bucket.

RickyD

• Smokey Joe
Shorty Midget mod thread
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
Here are my two 18 midgets. Thanks again to Brian for the handles.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:46:46 AM by RickyD »

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »
Those are cool!

smokindave

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2017, 07:49:28 PM »

Sounds like you have a well thought out plan of action.  You won't have any issues removing the ash bucket.

Thank you for taking the time to review my little plan.  As soon as my 2 extra wheels come in from ereplacementparts I will be ready to tackle this mod.  Of course the new wheels will go on the outside.  This will be fun!
'00 Black 22.5 OTP, '09 Forest Green 22.5 OTG, '11 Black 22.5 OTG, '14 Black JJ, '14 Black SJS

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »
I got mine started. As soon as the ash catcher and wheels come in she'll be road ready.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »
I like the midget mod but what do you guys do with them? Take them camping? Sit in a chair and grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »
I'll get the grandkids started cooking. Plus they just look cool!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2017, 08:01:08 PM »
I like the midget mod but what do you guys do with them? Take them camping? Sit in a chair and grill?

I'm 5'8" and have no problems using the kettle standing up, as long as I am using long 18" utensils. It's awesome having a full 18.5" with OT that I don't have to disassemble for transport. I also use mine for small cooks at home.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2017, 01:12:42 AM »
Here are my two 18 midgets. Thanks again to Brian for the handles.

Rad!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »

I have an 18 jumbo joe and it's kind of a pain to use though not horrible. my shorty is minus a lid right now so I use it as chiminey starter.

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
I got the traveling grill done today. I'm pleased with it. Cute little booger!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »
I really like the mars rover hubcaps on the dually, that's sharp.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »
Might sound crazy but does anyone have a midget example of a single wheel setup instead of the dually?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.