Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Meet Fonzie, "A"aaaaaa  (Read 6158 times)

Cochise

• WKC Brave
Re: Meet Fonzie, "A"aaaaaa
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 03:37:42 PM »
Where did you find it?
SMOKE THIS!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 05:10:42 PM »
What is the actual ash pan for this general era kettle?

@Craig  or anyone who has pics?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 05:16:29 PM »
The 26.75 still had the giant straight edge twist pans in 1979. In fact Weber kept straight edge twist pans for the 26ers well into the early-mid 80s. Much the same way back in the 60s they retained their "Wood Dale swivel" pans a few years after 18s and 22s had gone to str8 edge twist style .

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »
The 26.75 still had the giant straight edge twist pans in 1979. In fact Weber kept straight edge twist pans for the 26ers well into the early-mid 80s. Much the same way back in the 60s they retained their "Wood Dale swivel" pans a few years after 18s and 22s had gone to str8 edge twist style .

Thanks........I'm working on something....... 8)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 06:21:36 PM »
Wow I love those flat top 26s, and that orang peel is most excellent.  Congrats!
One of the charcoal people.

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 07:25:32 PM »
Congratulations spectacular find cheers.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 08:10:02 PM »
Nice looking 26" great score!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 09:48:12 PM »
@Cochise    it was a Chicago CL find. Seller had it posted for $150. Wifey wanted it gone and I got it from him for $70. Made 2 people happy, me and his wifey, LOL
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 10:45:18 PM »
OK, now I'm confused (not new according to my wife).  Harris92 posted a pic of three "Westerners", in that pic it appears that two of them are MLH's with different ashpans (one has a flattened rim, one has NO rim, but both have pop-rivet 'S' hooks -AND- straight ashpan cut-outs not twist-on cut-outs).  A third kettle, however, has a wooden handle which suggests that it might be nearer to the '78-'79 timeframe than the first two.  That third one appears to have a flattened rim ashpan like one of the MLH's, but fastens to the legs in the same way as the first two mentioned.  None of them have twist-on style ashpans.    BTW, all three are absolutely magnificent.   Given that most of us move various components from one kettle to another from time to time, I guess my question is  ...  which of these options most accurately reflects "as built".   ???    Possibly a moot point since damn few original pans exist for consumption by us SmokenJoe-come-lately's.        SJ

EDIT:  Somewhat less confused, on first inspection two of the ashpans appear to have flattened rims (on the far side), but closer inspection indicates that the pans DO NOT have flatness, more like photo shadows  ...  the leading edges look perfectly pitched.  Answered my own question  ...  all three.  Now I can get some Aluminum and start to shape a reflector ;)        SJ
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:56:06 PM by SmokenJoe »
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 11:15:07 PM »
Wow, now I just saw the pic of a '71-'75 26r and it clearly had a twist-on straight edged ash pan.  It looks huge.  I need to find the dimensions of this brute, to create a more accurate replica.         SJ

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 06:33:29 AM »
Wow, now I just saw the pic of a '71-'75 26r and it clearly had a twist-on straight edged ash pan.  It looks huge.  I need to find the dimensions of this brute, to create a more accurate replica.         SJ

Keep in mind if they are like the originals, they sit a little low & are just a little small & miss the bottom vent drop area, depending on where the vents are punched....

First time I saw one (Winz's Westerner, now one of those you see of the three) it was dropping ash outside the radius onto his wood deck........ :o

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 12:58:53 PM »
Thanks for the reminder  @1buckie   I've got enough burnt spots on my wooden deck, I'll factor that in since this is to be a working kettle.        SJ

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 04:02:38 AM »
what if the pan was lifted higher
wouldnt it then fit
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 04:26:39 AM »
@SmokenJoe

Probably just shadows.  All three ash pans are original and the same design.

OK, now I'm confused (not new according to my wife).  Harris92 posted a pic of three "Westerners", in that pic it appears that two of them are MLH's with different ashpans (one has a flattened rim, one has NO rim, but both have pop-rivet 'S' hooks -AND- straight ashpan cut-outs not twist-on cut-outs).  A third kettle, however, has a wooden handle which suggests that it might be nearer to the '78-'79 timeframe than the first two.  That third one appears to have a flattened rim ashpan like one of the MLH's, but fastens to the legs in the same way as the first two mentioned.  None of them have twist-on style ashpans.    BTW, all three are absolutely magnificent.   Given that most of us move various components from one kettle to another from time to time, I guess my question is  ...  which of these options most accurately reflects "as built".   ???    Possibly a moot point since damn few original pans exist for consumption by us SmokenJoe-come-lately's.        SJ

EDIT:  Somewhat less confused, on first inspection two of the ashpans appear to have flattened rims (on the far side), but closer inspection indicates that the pans DO NOT have flatness, more like photo shadows  ...  the leading edges look perfectly pitched.  Answered my own question  ...  all three.  Now I can get some Aluminum and start to shape a reflector ;)        SJ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 06:36:30 AM »
what if the pan was lifted higher
wouldnt it then fit

@Golly 

Yeah, that's part of it, but it also has to be a bit larger circumference, I believe......the cut outs then might have to be a bit different?
The originals are not quite right....... :-[

Like the Sequoia's pan.....the board they have the pan holder set into is off by half a width & the daisy wheels don't line up to the pan really..... :o