Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sweet Sam Adams Score  (Read 2589 times)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Sweet Sam Adams Score
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
Responded to a moving sale ad on Craigslist that simply listed "Weber Grill" and it turns out they were selling a gasser that was long gone...and a copper Sam Adams.  The woman wrote back and said that the gasser went first thing but she still had the "bucket style" grill. It was brand new, never used but had "a little rust on one of the grates from being outside". I followed up after the sale and it was still available.

I live just outside of Boston, and tour the Sam Adams brewery at least once a year.  Love their stuff and their attitude (they do a ton of charity support around here as well, and I know some people who work there that love their job and get treated right by the company, which is nice to see in this day and age).  Plus, my favorite color is orange, and this is as close as I'll get to getting an orange (unless I pull a @1buckie and make one) since I doubt I'll ever come across the mythical kinda orange ranger).  I don't like most logo grills, but I think this falls in the category of the red coca-colas and green heinekens in that it sort of works for me (and the copper is the traditional color of their Utopias bottle, which is some incredible stuff). 

Picked it up today.  Extremely minor surface rust on the charcoal grate, and oddly, the ash sweeper handle is fully rusted over but the blades are fine and it spins easily. Some oxidization on the ash catcher.

$15! Sadly, doesn't have the super cool laser etched Sam cooking grate, but I think I'll live. Might have to shell out a few bucks and make this a Gold and make it my regular 18" cooker.  I'll post maybe a few more pics, but this is it literally as I got it (minus wiping off a couple spots on the lid). AT code, so 2013. My first serial numbered kettle I think (unless my new and unused super score WSM is but I'm not sure).

Here it is with my SJG Copper

Inside bowl

Lid

hoss8640

• Smokey Joe
Re: Sweet Sam Adams Score
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »
Awesome score!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »
Love the coppers, nice score!
And for only $15...!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »
Nice score i made my Sam Adams 18" Golds and love it!  Make sure you check out the 18" kettle challenge in the events and meetup page.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:04:07 PM by 1911Ron »
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »
Great Job!!!  Really good find and for $15.  Can't believe it didn't sell at the sale.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »
@jkolantern   I was just 'cruzin' on Craigslist and spotted an 18" Sam Adams kettle w/ the cooking grate you mentioned.   Don't remember if it was Portland, Seattle, or somesuch.    Might be worth a try from your end, maybe the seller would shiip just the grill ???       SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".