Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Let's talk chicken  (Read 4492 times)

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
Re: Let's talk chicken
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 07:01:28 PM »
Buy a whole chicken for the same price as 2 boneless skinless breasts. Break it down into pieces (leg quarters, wings, and split the breasts) and cook the chicken breasts bone in, skin on, with bone-side down over indirect heat. The bones and skin protect the chicken and will come out really juicy (finish 155-170 depending on personal taste). You can thrown the chicken skin-side down over the coals to crisp up but if you aren't eating the skin anyways then it doesn't make much difference.

Or just buy bone in split breasts. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are ridiculously expensive compared to any part of the bird, or even the whole bird itself.

Once you cook breasts with bones and skin you'll never go back and marinating/brining becomes an afterthought.

I couldn't agree more. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a necessary evil, however. A good compromise might be using bone-in split breasts and removing the skin for your wife prior to cooking if she really want to avoid the calories or doesn't like the skin being on her portion. Airline breasts are another option for compromise. But, alas, these are just compromises. Nothing beats a bone-in, skin-on split breast (or, better yet, leg quarter) cooked indirect on a super hot grill. I just got a vortex that I'm dying to tryout for this method.