Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A question for the group...  (Read 3462 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
A question for the group...
« on: July 10, 2015, 03:09:50 AM »
Hey guys, I need some help and advice on this one. I am thinking about purchasing one of those automatic temperature control devices that mount onto the underside of a WSM or kettle. You know, the type with the blower fan where you have to cut a hole in the bottom of your Weber?

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good, quality brand? Also, if you could list the pros and cons of the particular model you're recommending, that would be great. Thanks. I appreciate your help.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: A question for the group...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 04:14:10 AM »
I have an IQ 110 and while it works well, I just never really use it as the kettle keeps a solid temp pretty easy. I bought mine to use with a UDS, but with an attachment it would work with a kettle easy enough.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:47:03 AM »
I have an IQ110 as well. I bought it used for $75. I only use it on my 22.5" WSM. I have no complaints.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 05:24:18 AM »
I have a couple of Digi-Qs; DX2 and the ParytQ (newer model).  I think they both work great.  The DX2 has 2 probes, 1 for cooker and 1 for meat.  It keeps a very steady temp and is very easy to use.  This, like most controllers needs AC power.  I also have the PartyQ that I use for my mini-wsm (smoker).  It's very portable since it runs on batteries so it's great when I need to take a grill on the go.  Also keeps a nice steady temp but only has one probe for the cooker.  Both are a bit pricey but if you can find a deal I would recommend either of these units.  Not to say the IQ110 (or IQ120) isn't a good unit.  I've seen very good reviews on those too.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 07:40:04 AM »
Build your own!  It is a fun project:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/automatic-temp-controller/

Naked Whiz has several product reviews of ATC's that are helpful in making a choice should you decide to buy.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »
Hope this helps! The original thread also has some great discussion.

I have a stoker Wifi that I use for the WSM. It's great! it holds temp +/-1 degree once it locks in and really easy to use. Set to 250F- locks in on the money:

Stoker is pricey for sure, but they are most frequently sold used on the bbq-brethren. It seems that whenever someone puts a wtb ad up there they find one soon enough.

I paid $170 for a like new non-wifi Stoker with one probe and 5cfm fan last year, and then I paid $375 for a used wifi one with 2 25cfm fans (Huge monster fans), 2 pit probes and 4 meat probes this year.

Excellent customer service from John and Rock's BBQ too, but others find them hard to reach at times. Here are some things for you to consider:

-What cookers will you be controlling? I've used a 5cfm fan on my 14.5" WSM up to my 22.5" wsm. As long as you get it up to temp first and you don't use it in freezing temps a 5cfm should be fine.

-Do you need a digital readout? If not, a Pitmaster iq110 is excellent bang for the buck.

-Do you need to control more than one cooker? Then a higher end guru or Stoker may be for you.

-Do you need portability? The pitmaster iq and Guru partyq runs on batteries. You will need to rig up your own power source for the plugin ones if you need them to go without a plug.

Here's my recs:

Simple and portable for one cooker: Pitmaster Iq or Guru partyq
Single cooker, digital readout, higher fan cfm for larger cookers: Guru digQ dx2 or auberins (better value imo)
Multiple cooker, wifi, datalogger, whiz bang: Guru CyberQ wifi or Stoker Wifi.
For the best: Stoker. My biased opinion of course.  ;D
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »
I got a used AuberIns SYL-1615 for $50 recently.  I've set it up w/ a new probe in parallel with my ET 733 and the temps match pretty well.  It has a 10cfm fan which is big enough for a 22" WSM.  I've only used it on a 18.5" WSM, but my smokey mountain really holds temps in the 225F range quite well.  The Auber seemed to hold the temp range well, but I don't know if it was the Auber or the WSM itself ??  It's pretty easy to program temps and you can go off the deep end if you don't want to use the PID algorithm. 

Oh, and it fits right on one of the daisy wheel holes (w/ the other two holes taped over w/ high-heat tape)  ...  no drilling no stink'n holes.      SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 08:01:53 PM »
I've used a stoker with great success for many years on a BGE.

I'm a fan of it.  I think it is a little long in the tooth as far as interface goes. It needs a snappy and robust interface.   I don't know what Guru offers these days, but Stoker has the same choices as they did 5 years ago. Amir's pc stoker log is the best for me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:30:46 PM by ClubChapin »

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. I have reviewed and researched all your suggestions and the one I am leaning towards is the PartyQ, due to its ease of use, basic setup, and low cost. A couple things that concern me though is that it is battery operated, not electric. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about how long the batteries might last or how often they would need replacing?

Also, I'm considering mounting this PartyQ on a Ranch Kettle and I'm worried that it might not be powerful enough to maintain the temperature on such a large cooker. Does anyone have any thoughts or firsthand experience with this? Thanks.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 05:49:32 PM »
You can hook up a 5 dollar ac adapter to it if you prefer to plug it in. This is a good thread about it on tvwbb: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?47825-PartyQ-AC-adapter-mod-for-less-than-10-bucks
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791