Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not a Weber, but looking for advice on replacement burners  (Read 5470 times)

Rick S

• Smokey Joe
Not a Weber, but looking for advice on replacement burners
« on: June 23, 2015, 06:54:20 PM »
My 10 year old Wilmington Grill has worn out burners. Cast 410 Stainless, each one is approx. 20,000 BTU's.

Here's a pic of what the grill looks like:

and here's a pic of one of the burners

New WG's have lifetime warranties on their burners. Mine is a 2005 and only had a 5 year warranty. I was cleaning it up on Memorial Day, had my had resting on top of one of the burners and the top came off in my hand.

Per WG, the burners have scale rust in their opinion and are shot. They said the one that came apart may be able to be welded but I would only get 1 more year out of it. The other burner was also rusted but produced perfect blue flame.

There are no cracks or holes in the burners. The top came apart because the founder of the co used ss screws to join the top to the venturi. They are welded together now.

I asked how much new burners are, $120.00 ea plus shipping  :o. Granted if the new burners have a lifetime warranty it's the only time I would need to spend the money. I did not confirm that the new burners in a 10 yr old grill would have a lifetime warranty though.

I'm not against finding a cheaper aftermarket burner if it will fit. These look like turkey fryer burners, but I have not found a 100% equal yet.

I found this for $39.66 ea at Overstock:

Have any of you seen a generic version of the WG burner anywhere? Would you take a chance on the Bayou classic or just spend the money on the burners from WG?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:27:59 PM by Rick S »
Weber 2015 Performer Deluxe, Weber 2001 WSM 18.5 and a Wilmington Grill 2005 Cape Fear.

Rick S

• Smokey Joe
Re: Not a Weber, but looking for advice on replacement burners
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 05:14:21 AM »
I just spoke to WG. The new burners will be covered by their current lifetime warranty. They also sell 2 in a kit that contains all new valves, mounting hardware and new regulator and hoses for $282.

Basically the burners from 05 were never lifetime rated, and the company founder had trouble honoring that original warranty. It was a mess. The company has also sold 2 timea since the founder sold it.

I was shocked at the cost of the burners, but this will be the only time I have to pay for replacements.

Weber 2015 Performer Deluxe, Weber 2001 WSM 18.5 and a Wilmington Grill 2005 Cape Fear.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 05:30:40 AM »
wow.....that looks like a serious piece of machinery.  I'd love to see some more pics of it.  I would imagine its all stainless steel grates and such?
-Keith

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 03:17:46 AM »
You might be lucky & able to take it to Home Depot for new SS screws...

Beautiful grill tho, I would replace whatever is needed to maintain it.
& know if you're willing to spend the initial $ + time to clean it a good SS grill will last forever

I run a Hollandgrill.com "Legacy" (now Apex model)
(Consumer Reports last year stated "If you purchase a Holland Grill leave it in your will!")
Though it is SS, the flame diffuser plate also has the scale rust you speak of.

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 03:29:53 AM »
Nice grill...if the new burners are lifetime warranty and ss..that pricing for that model burner sounds right...not alpealing but inline with oem pricing
Grills

Rick S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 05:56:19 AM »
If I had not had to pay for 2 AC repairs, plus I bought the Performer ( had to have it) I would have already ordered the burners from Wilmington Grill. I'll have a Lifetime warranty with the new burners, it's a no brainer.

As is, with the old style burners they lasted 10 years before they gave out. That's dang good. Best I've ever had on any gas grill.

Metal Mike our grills are very similar. When Floyd Knowles came out with this, he wanted to have burners with a higher output but still be flare up proof like Holland. When I first met Floyd the Cape Fear had chimneys, and Holland sued him over that.

WG has 2 drip pans made of 304 SS, the original one I barely used and is in storage in my garage. I've been using the "rock grate" version

This one I may be able to get 1-2 more seasons out of. I change out the round rocks every 1-2 years. You can flip them over and as long as they are not cracked you can get extra time with them.

WG doesn't se a diffuser plate, the burners sit under the 304 SS Drip pan.

I'm thinking about switching to the standard drip pan after I get the new burners.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:05:24 AM by Rick S »

Rick S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 06:04:06 AM »
wow.....that looks like a serious piece of machinery.  I'd love to see some more pics of it.  I would imagine its all stainless steel grates and such?

Here's a link to the Cape Fear Deluxe page. This is my grill, except I don't have the bottom from logo panel. I got the basic Cape Fear originally, and added everything to make it a deluxe except for the front logo panel.

http://www.wilmingtongrill.com/deluxe.htm

At the time the former owner offered me a "scratch and dent" side burner for $150.00 and I said no. Now the side burner lit is $399.00 and the current owners do not offer "scratch and dent" discounted items  :(

Rick S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
One of my friends wanted to inspect these burners before I trashed them. He has a sand blaster at work, a drill press and everything need to make these look like new, if they were not too far gone.

I picked them up today. They look incredible. We opted to use ss screws and nuts because welding cast stainless can be tough.

Here's some before pics:

and after sandblasting and re-assembly:

I ordered a new regulator-hose and crossover hose from WG this morning. I'll have everything re-assembled by the end of the week. I'll post pics of the actual grill after re-assembly.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
That looks great. Let us know how they fire up.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791