Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Repair porcelain chip in copper OTG  (Read 5052 times)

hubmacfan

• Smokey Joe
Repair porcelain chip in copper OTG
« on: July 03, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
The bowl of my OTG has a very small chip in it--I'd say approximately 2 millimeters in width. I'd like some guidance on how to repair this. There already appears to be rust in the exposed metal.

I figure I need to sand and touch-up with some high-heat paint, but that's the limit of my knowledge. Can you recommend a grit of sandpaper and some paint?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Repair porcelain chip in copper OTG
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 11:30:09 AM »
Not a lot of options, no paint for a bowl as it will just wear off.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

hubmacfan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »
Not a lot of options, no paint for a bowl as it will just wear off.

Yeah, I figured. I doubt there's a copper high heat paint, so I'll try to just make it look like a grease spot by painting a black spot there.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 12:17:10 PM »
I have applied high-heat paint to a bowl, but not to the lid.  It was a red 18". 

Never again will I apply paint to a kettle.  It eventually turned black after many cooks.

It's your kettle, so do as you please.  I would recommend just applying vegetable oil or bacon grease from time to time to prevent rust.

Was the kettle NIB?  Purchased at a store?  Or a CL find?  You might be able to contact Weber for a replacement.  Worth a try.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

hubmacfan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 12:25:29 PM »
Maybe my terminology is not right. It's on the exterior of the bottom part of the kettle. I'm calling that the bowl, but I may be using that term incorrectly.

MacEggs--this was a NIB kettle when I bought it last year. I haven't even had it a year yet. I suspect the chip came last week. I took it to a bbq competition (placed third in chicken, btw) and it was in my buddy's trailer. It was tied down, but somewhere in the loading/unloading, the chip could have happened.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »
Congrats on the place, I'm with Mac on this, touching up tends to look like touching up after a few cooks. If it's only 2mm and it's a cooker don't worry about it , just keep cooking
Do you use baskets or bank the coals? I have a small chip on my sage performer that I can't explain and can only put it down to high heat
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
Believe it or not Home Depot (at least in Canada) does sell a metallic copper BBQ paint. I snagged a can but have yet to use any... For a dot that small might be worth checking out.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

hubmacfan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »
Believe it or not Home Depot (at least in Canada) does sell a metallic copper BBQ paint. I snagged a can but have yet to use any... For a dot that small might be worth checking out.

According to the website, the closest they sale is orange, and only by the case. I may still try looking at the store, though.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 01:13:21 PM »
Here's the one I found:

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

hubmacfan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 01:13:57 PM »
Hogsy - Now that I've "calmed down" a little bit about it, that's probably what I'll do. I still have to go to the hardware store and get some sandpaper to take out the rust though.

Yes, I bank, and it is on the side I usually bank the coals on.

hubmacfan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 01:15:11 PM »
Here's the one I found:

Looks pretty close. I'll definitely try HD.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »
Maybe my terminology is not right. It's on the exterior of the bottom part of the kettle. I'm calling that the bowl, but I may be using that term incorrectly.

MacEggs--this was a NIB kettle when I bought it last year. I haven't even had it a year yet. I suspect the chip came last week. I took it to a bbq competition (placed third in chicken, btw) and it was in my buddy's trailer. It was tied down, but somewhere in the loading/unloading, the chip could have happened.

(placed third in chicken, btw) !!!!!!!!

"But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

I'd paint the whole dang Kettle, but I'm kinda goofy like that..... 8)

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "

Seriously, paint is not actually a "bad" idea, but it won't  completely hold like the original finish......on a small chip it could help prevent further  rust, maybe even hold a  more extensive porcelain chip at bay......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »
There's a few of us including myself who believe banking coals encourages enamel chipping due to the intense high heat against the bowl. I use baskets and try to alternate where I position them when cooking to hopefully prevent it.
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »
Personally I'd leave it alone.  It gives the kettle character....

And a reason to tell everyone you finished 3rd in chicken! 

Nice job!
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH