Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Kettle Smoke: Don't Trust Dome Therms in AZ  (Read 2480 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
First Kettle Smoke: Don't Trust Dome Therms in AZ
« on: July 03, 2015, 08:10:21 AM »
So I've smoked a lot of meat over the recent years but I'm doing my first kettle smoke today for the eCook. So I prepped the grill to use the snake method and waited till dome temp hit 200 then cut back on the vents to let it coast up to 225. I prepped the pork butt for today's smoke and when I put it on I also put in a temp probe at the grill height.

Apparently dome temps are even a worse indicator in Arizona in July. Grate temp was 130. I opened both vents wide and it's slowly creeping up but it's still only 155. Thinking about lighting another 12 coals or so to raise ambient temp.

Any suggestions or tips are welcome and encouraged.  :)

I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: First Kettle Smoke: Don't Trust Dome Therms in AZ
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
Man, that's a good sized butt … What was the weight?

Might want to put some small sized lump throughout the snake for burn assurance, as well as extend that fuse.

I'm guessing it will take a long time at 225.  Bump it up to 250-275 if you want to eat before the sun goes down.

I have learned from @MrHoss that dome temp is usually about 50 degrees higher than grate temperature.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:24:44 AM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 08:26:30 AM »
looks grate so far.....you may end up adding more coals before the end, but it's pretty easy, just set the grate, meat & all, on a table or another kettle while it gets loaded in.......not a temp disaster 'cause the meat is by then carrying a lot of heat internally & the bell of the cooker is hot also....it will recoup quick.....

This was set out for the bean pan, but same concept....

Quick reload on a brisket....

You can try a higher running temp.......I don't like to push that whole "Hot & Fast" thing on people, but something like this will come out just fine @ 250~275....gets done quicker, plenty of smoke time still & much less likely to run into the way below temp issue you already had at the very start.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »
Man, that's a good sized butt … What was the weight?

Might want to put some small sized lump throughout the snake for burn assurance, as well as extend that fuse.

I'm guessing it will take a long time at 225.  Bump it up to 250-275 if you want to eat before the sun goes down.

I have learned from @MrHoss that dome temp is usually about 50 degrees higher than grate temperature.

"Raptor got a big ole butt! Oh yeah!"

8.5 lb bone-in butt

I re positioned the grate probe so it's suspended above the grate next to the butt (it was dangling below the grate on the other side of the water pan from the heat before.) temp is reading 244 and still climbing. Gonna choke the intake back to 50% at 250 and try and coast it up to my usual smoke temp of 270
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:34:18 AM by AZRaptor »
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:39:45 AM »
A water pan will keep the temps low, or more regulated, if you will.

If you used hot water initially, then you should be okay.  If it was cold, then it will take some time to rise-up.

Personally, I would dump the water, then put the pan back dry.  YMMV
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 08:44:23 AM »
Temp is leveled out at 247 right now and fluctuating up and down a degree. I started with hot water from a kettle so that's fine but you're right it will likely keep my temps a bit lower, I'll see how it goes, may have to dump it.

Just grabbed another cold soda from the Weber Chill and researching the disassembly of my gas kettle while I tend the cook

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »
Just grabbed another cold soda from the Weber Chill and researching the disassembly of my gas kettle while I tend the cook

All Weber....All the Time........ 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »
Well I had to extend my snake because it was already half spent and I've still got a ways to go. Spiked a little bit to 290 atm, but it's coming back down.

At least the Gas Performer is broken down into components now and woods been pulled to send to Brian. Now I'm just scaling the bowl and enjoying a mild summer day in AZ. Only 91.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:58:32 AM by AZRaptor »

Bigdave

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 03:31:55 PM »
My kettle in mid day reads about 135 on my remote probe. I have tried with and without water...I can't tell a difference. I do use a drip pan and have been thinking of putting a couple fire bricks in the middle of my snake to help level out the heat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk