Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seeking info on this Redhead Genesis  (Read 2807 times)

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Seeking info on this Redhead Genesis
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:11:40 PM »
Interested in buying this redhead genesis and would like some advice. Can anyone tell by the pics what year and model it is? The price I negotiated was $100 and the seller informed me it has new grates and flavorizers less then 12 months old. I plan to restore it to its original glory so I would like to know what to look for when inspecting the grill.

Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Seeking info on this Redhead Genesis
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »
That's a genesis 2000 (LX?). That's a great grill and looks like it has flavorizers in good shape. People like these because of their deep firebox and criss cross flavorizers that diffuse the heat real well. I would check for cracks in the cast lid and firebox, take the flavorizers off and inspect the burners/crossburner tube. Make sure the valves work, and the porcelain for dings. I would guess that rust is not an issue since you are in SoCal but that's worth investigating too..
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:22:39 PM »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »
Check the frame around the firebox as that is prone to rusting out. Make sure that the box itself has no holes or spots where it bows out (indicating a potentially damaging grease fire). That firebox is not available anymore and the newer ones don't fit. Other than that, make sure the valves move freely and the manifold isn't a rusted away and you should be good to go.

Great grill though. Got a very similar one on my deck.

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 05:13:44 PM »
thanks pbe gummie bear. I decided not to buy this grill. I calculated the cost to restore it and the labor involved and just don't think it'll be worth it to me. But I've decided to get a Weber Q instead. I have my SS performer to smoke and grill with hard fuels but I need a gasser to replace my old Charbroil piece of junk that is currently in service. After reading more about the Q it seems like the best option as far as versatility, convenience, and technologically advanced. I just missed a great deal on a Q220 with stand and cover on CL, the seller was asking for only $80. Guess I'll have to wait for the next deal to come around.
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
My only gasser is a Q, they are perfect for a charcoal head.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »
A Q might be nice, but there's something about a nice shiny Redhead with wooden shelves.  Man they are pretty.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 03:38:12 AM »
I had a Q100 sitting on my deck for years that I used the shit out of. It's a great grill for quick evening cooks. About a month ago, I replaced it with an older Genesis Silver C to get more grill space. I have more $ into the Genesis than I had planned, but it cooks so well that I don't care. The only thing that irked me is the $50 I spent on a Weber cover only to find out its super flimsy and feels like a $10 dollar store product. VERY disappointed with that. Other than that, I don't regret it at all
-Keith