Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Holding temps in a 22.5 kettle  (Read 3507 times)

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Holding temps in a 22.5 kettle
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:59:56 AM »
Would like to know the best way to hold a temp in the 22.5 kettles. My kettle has the ash sweeper and its been difficult to hold a consistent temp. I'm smoking beef ribs and using the minion method and started with 12 ashed over briquettes but temps range from 269-282. I read leave the bottom vents wide open and only use the top vent to control temps but the only way i can get a constant temp (270) is to close the top vent completely. Not sure if Im doing something wrong but would like any suggestions from y'all. Also I'm worried when I try to smoke pork butt I wont be able to get the temps down to the 225 mark. Please give me suggestions on how to get the target temps and hold it there.
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: Holding temps in a 22.5 kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:19:08 AM »
General vent position for 225: bottom barely open; top wide, or nearly wide, open.

Try arranging the fuel in the ring of fire method.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »
Okay, so you're worried about a 13° variance??  Don't sweat the small stuff.

Cook it at that temperature, and you will be fine.  A pork butt is a very forgiving hunk of meat. 
It can be cooked at higher temps than 225, and you will get great results, and you will be eating sooner.

Lid vent wide open, and intakes at about a third open.  YMMV  All the best.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:17:41 PM »
For that temp , just slightly open your bottom vent , I mean just crack it open , leave the top wide open .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »
Agreed with all the above........top vent is best if you are able to keep it wide open.......the fire needs to exhaust cleanly.......

Set the temp by way of the intake / bottom vents, likely what people are saying, just slightly open should do......

Two things about this:

1) closing off the top vent can lead to stalled or stale smoke in the cooker

....and,

2) Attempting to force the temp down to very low can also lead to a sluggish fire.......a second part of this can be if you're getting temp from a lid therm, it's reading higher than what's going on at grate or Meat Level (<< Technical Term) so 225 at dome might be as low as 190 at the grate, leading to a "forever" cook & we just don't want that......
A lot of items, I shoot for 260~275 & that seems to be a good median temp fr many cooks, ribs, beef ribs, any kinds of sausages or fattys, ABT's, pork butt & brisket / clod larger beef roast type things.....a little low for chicken maybe, but good for many items.....

It's usually best to keep the smallest clean burning active fire area as possible to get to the temp you want......heating the cooker thoroughly at the start is also a good idea, usually 20 minutes will do.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the great advice. Just finished smoking some beef ribs and they were cooked perfect but was a bit too smokey. I know its cuz I kept choking off the oxygen buy closing all the vents to bring down the rising temps. Now I know to crack the bottom vent and try to keep the top vent wide open. This was only the first try and I'm confident I will have this puppy dialed in soon. I learned a great trick by marking the position on the ash can vent for 1/4, 1/2, and full open.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:19:48 PM by jaycee213 »
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
1/4 is your friend.  ;-)
I only use kettles with lid bales.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 06:14:36 PM »
Never close the top vent all the way when food is on the grill. If you need to bring down temps in a hurry just grab a pan and some tongs to remove a bunch of coals. Pack some remaining lit coals tight against your unlit and get back to it. If it's still high remove some more.

When things are burning clean and smooth I will often close down the top vent 40-60% and have the bottom open 15-25%. This is often my ticket for a sustained grate temp of around 240f.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
Here's a monkey wrench to throw into the mix!

If you are using the thermometer that is in the lid of your kettle is the thermometer over the fire or the food?  You will get 2 pretty different readings based on that.

i also agree with @1buckie, if you close of the top vent completely you will choke the fire out. 

I know what works for me, 1/2 open on the bottom and I was always taught the top vent helps regulate temperature. 

Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 07:13:19 PM »
Here's a monkey wrench to throw into the mix!

If you are using the thermometer that is in the lid of your kettle is the thermometer over the fire or the food?  You will get 2 pretty different readings based on that.

i also agree with @1buckie, if you close of the top vent completely you will choke the fire out. 

I know what works for me, 1/2 open on the bottom and I was always taught the top vent helps regulate temperature.
no, I use a maverick 733 thermo. The thermo on the handle is just for show.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »
Words of wisdom to cook by up ^^^^^ there from one and all.   NEVER close that top vent all the way (dare I say toxins).  50% open minimum is the general rule.  Control the kettle temp with those bottom vents.

If you're cooking mid-temp foods, then follow the threads above  ...  you won't go wrong.  If you're cooking L&S (ribs, butts, etc.), then experiment a little with a so called 'snake' or 'fuse' method.  I've found it pretty effective at getting to and maintaining a lower temps.

The thermo in the lid can be used to "spot check" what's really going on in your kettle.  That is; once you cooking grate temp is stable at the temp you want, then if your dome thermo spikes up or down 20 degrees you can bet your cooking grate temp is also 20 degrees up or down.  Gives you a window into the kettle without lifting the lid.    SJ

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".