Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Simple chicken  (Read 1217 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Simple chicken
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:55:21 PM »
Got a whole bird today. Broke it down into leg quarters, whole wings, and bone-in split breasts. I did relax my chicken, but it took me 10 minutes, not 18 seconds  ;D All they got were olive oil and salt.

Set up the 18.5" OTG for low direct heat. Some Fogo lump with a full mini chimney poured over it, lower vent mostly shut down with top vent about half closed. Legs and thighs were over some hotter spots, they came off first, breasts were over the coolest part and took about an hour. Good flavor with crispy skin and smoke flavor from dripping fat.

I would really like to try a spatchcocked bird over low direct heat - I need to play with my fire skills, especially with lump, to try and keep hot/cold spots as even as possible. But that's next. I ate the wings, then broke up the legs into thighs and drums, and deboned and split the chicken breasts.

Here are a couple picks, and my girlfriend and I have some leftovers for the week.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Simple chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »
YUM!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:57:13 PM »
Beautiful looking chicken!

I have done spatchcocked chicken using two snakes like so ( ) with apple and hickory chunks for wood, lit about 10 briqs put 5 on one snake at the top and 5 at the bottom on the other one, vents wide open and a drip pan on the charcoal grate with some water and all three kettles sat at 300, I think if I had left out the water or maybe lit a few more I could get a higher temp.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:04:44 PM by 1911Ron »
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 03:00:29 AM »
Beautiful looking chicken!

I have done spatchcocked chicken using two snakes like so ( ) with apple and hickory chunks for wood, lit about 10 briqs put 5 on one snake at the top and 5 at the bottom on the other one, vents wide open and a drip pan on the charcoal grate with some water and all three kettles sat at 300, I think if I had left out the water or maybe lit a few more I could get a higher temp.

( )  Yes, the "Rotator Snake"............ 8)

Great lookin' cookup Austin !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 05:51:51 AM »
Looks great!