Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking by the book.  (Read 894 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Cooking by the book.
« on: June 17, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
Another thrift store find this week, copyright 1990.  I've got older and newer Weber cookbooks, but none with this sweet lay-flat hybrid spiral binding.  Really nice to lay out while you're cooking.

Full cover spread... for just a moment I thought I had seen these same skewers two aisles back, but that was wishful thinking.

Here's the main thing that inspired me-- some kind of sweet potatoes from New Zealand.  I didn't go to new Zealand, but I did buy some sweet potatoes on the way home.

We've been trying to make some space in the freezer by cooking up what's in there, and so I've been defrosting a pork loin too.  And paging through the same book I happened across an interesting recipe for stuffed pork loin-- instead of butterflying or roll-cutting the loin, it suggested *cross-cutting* (against the grain of the meat) in one-inch increments, about halfway through the roast.  Then stuffing the pockets with an apple/onion/bread/herb stuffing and tying it all back together.  Worked out pretty well. 

And my version of the potatoes, roasted in foil, then halved and twice-baked with some lump. 

All in all, a nice way to justify another $3 Weber cookbook on the shelf!

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:46:20 PM by mike.stavlund »
One of the charcoal people.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Cooking by the book.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 08:54:05 PM »
Interesting idea on the pork loin, the loin and the sweet potato's look great!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Cooking by the book.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 06:17:38 AM »
Loin looks great!