Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need spatchcock tips  (Read 4600 times)

Grizz

• WKC Brave
Need spatchcock tips
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:16:08 AM »
Hey folks!  Wrapping up a visit with my mom and brother and I wanted to try spatchcocking a chicken on my brother's 18.5.  Any tips would be appreciated.  It's a little bird, about 4 lbs.  I was going to pour a Caribbean jerk marinade over it and let it sit in the fridge for about 4 hours.  Now, my brother buys lump coal from publix.   I was just going to do a full chimney on one side with a chunk of pecan and cook the bird indirectly.  Does that sound like a plan?  About how long am I looking at?  Thanks!

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
Re: Need spatchcock tips
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 06:28:19 AM »
I've only done it on a Big Green Egg, but I found it was much better with a higher temp and direct heat.  It took about 45min to and hour.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
Sounds like a good plan.

With the marinade and spices, I'd do without the pecan, but that's a personal preference.

For doneness, use the Force, and check it after 50 minutes. Rotate and flip if necessary. You'll probably go another 20 minutes, but that's just a SWAG - YMMV - DCMIYGS (Don't Call Me If You Get Sick)

If you don't have access to the Force, use a thermometer  8)
Dude, relax your chicken.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 10:33:09 AM »
On an 18.5" you might need to go low direct heat, once the bird is splayed open it will take up a pretty good portion of the cooking grate. If you are going for low direct, lay a thin layer of unlit lump along the charcoal grate and pour 1/3 of a chimney evenly over the top of it. Keep the lower vent 1/4 open to keep it from burning too fast and getting too hot and the lid on. You'll need to flip about halfway through, check it at 20 minutes or so.

If you have a charcoal basket or even the charcoal rails you might have enough room to do indirect. When I spatchcock chickens on the 22" I cook med/high indirect, it seems to be the best way to get crispy skin. interested to see the bird on the 18.5" and how you end up setting everything up.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
Thanks for all the tips.  Not going to be able to close the lower vent because his grill doesn't have one.  There is a sweep arm rusted tight on the bottom but the three sweeps that should be inside the bowl are missing.  😕

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
I like to spatchcock chickens … However, I go one more step … I then cut it in half.  Much easier to work with.

I prefer to go indirect, and then direct near the finish.  These halves were done on an 18". 
Don't really know my cooking temperature.  Probably took about 1 hour 15 minutes or so.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »
Grate tips guys & thanks @MacEggs for the visual

@Grizz  only added reminder;
keep the legs/thighs nearest to the heat (as pictured) they can handle it better than the breast w/o drying out.
& you can wrap foil on ends of the drums to prevent burning since you're using Lump..

Enjoy & Post pics
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 12:52:24 PM »
Whoops!  Put in on backwards then!  I'll run out now and flip it!  Plus, I hate lump.  Poured it out of the chimney and moving them off to the side I had an ember pop up and land on my tongue.  YEEEEOUCH!!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
Sorry going to have to post pictures when I get home.  On my iPad and can't figure out how to go from my iPhone to my iPad to photobucket to here.  Anyway, it turned out great.  I'd say about an hour and a half.  Wrapped the wings and end of the drumsticks but they still burned a bit. Thanks again for the tips!

Danny C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 06:55:11 PM »
I always put a 1/2 " slice of butter underneath the skin on each of the breasts
Damn good!

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 07:34:44 AM »
Whoops!  Put in on backwards then!  I'll run out now and flip it!  Plus, I hate lump.  Poured it out of the chimney and moving them off to the side I had an ember pop up and land on my tongue.  YEEEEOUCH!!

You were concentrating so hard you stuck your tongue out?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 04:31:07 AM »
spatchcocking is out

Leaping Frog cut chicken is in

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
LOL...no, I have a really bad deviated septum and tend to be a bit of a mouth breather when my nose gets stuffed up.  Anywho, here's a shot of the bird right after I put it on.

Then after I read Metal Mike's recommendation, I ran out and wrapped the wings and legs.  That fire was @#$@# hot!  The 90+ degree afternoon didn't help much.

Here's how it looked after an hour and a half and ready to eat.

And all plated up with baked beans and some of mom's pan fried tatters.

All in all a success!  But, I'm glad I'm back home with my 22.5 and proper grilling tools!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
gonna have to look in to that leap frogging technique...

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 03:24:05 AM »
Grate Job man, I generally cut the wing "tips" off & toss 'em to the coals
(they're going to burn regardless might as well enjoy the smoke)

what was the spice mix
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE