Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this a good deal?  (Read 2774 times)

Jacmac422

• Smokey Joe
Is this a good deal?
« on: June 21, 2015, 09:19:33 AM »
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/hsh/5075688444.html

It looks like it is missing the original ash catcher but otherwise good shape.  Any idea the year.
I am new to Weber and not sure what they are worth
2015 original kettle premium copper
2015 original kettle black
197? pat-pending red

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Is this a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »
I think this one's been posted already....remember the ash pan......

Kind high price, but also a real nice piece !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 09:57:57 PM »
It looks to be in great shape, if it were me i would point out that it was missing the ash pan and offer less, it all depends what you think is a good deal.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »
@Jacmac422   I was advised, by a knowledgeable grillfella, that this era redhead is not rare or even scarce.  I have met this seller, I didn't get a good vibe, but YMMV.   Anyhew, as they say; "it's your money, spend it on what YOU want".   SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Jacmac422

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:58:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I called yesterday and didn't get a good vibe either. I will keep looking
197? pat-pending red

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 05:01:45 AM »
i've picked up a couple of that era red for less than $50.  albeit not that clean on purchase but after a good grillfella bath they were.  just keep looking, more will pop up.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:57:48 AM »
The kettle market varies regionally. There are far fewer red 22"s in the PNW than in Chicago,  and the majority of them are rusty basket cases. I'd say that redhead is worth about $100 in the PNW. I wouldn't fault someone for paying a bit more,  though,  because you may not see another that nice for years to come.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »
@GregS  @cbpeck   I've been watching CL since I joined the club in late March.  Not much in the PNW other than a lot of Blackies  ..  they're not only beautiful, but great cookers.   That being said, I just found a red on my birthday.  Dealt with a man-of-integrity who held off asking price plus offers since I was first in line.  A couple of quick pics, but this kettle doesn't look as clean or rust/dent free as the one we're discussing.

This seller was great to deal with, took pretty good care of his old kettle, and put a new charcoal grill and new hinged cooking grate in it before he sold it for $35.
Did I mention that he stuck with the first buyer in the face of $$$ pressure   ;D ;D ;D

A wiser kettlehead once posted;  "Weber made more than one of those, be patient."   SJ
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:10:52 PM by SmokenJoe »

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 02:29:28 PM »
I'm pretty certain that the new addition to my hareem has lots of experience pleasing ..., more than my younger girls.  But she's the most seasoned and will quickly bring her knowledge to the others and me.  However,  based on her vent damper she appears to fit the '71-'75 generation.  What clues do I use to more accurately determine her real birthdate?   SJ

Post Script::  Thanks to @Idahawk & @Craig  I've narrowed the range to '73-'75, based on the wheel design.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:09:47 PM by SmokenJoe »

Jacmac422

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »
That is a great looking Kettle.  I cant wait to find an old one with the metal handles
197? pat-pending red

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »
Regional color availability def holds water.

Finding anything of color other than black in GA is very rare.

Try finding a blue or crate and barrel green here...just aint happening.

A few blues have popped up in the past year..but thats def not the norm

Grills