Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Favorite Rubs  (Read 7779 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Favorite Rubs
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 06:51:22 AM »
I have tried some commercial rubs but do better making my own. The one exception has been the stuff Dizzy Pig makes. Tried their Cow Lick beef rub and the original Dizzy Dust and really like both.....with the beef rub being somewhat better for what it is. I love that stuff on all beef.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 09:09:25 AM »
@MrHoss 

Try out Dizzy's "Swamp Venom" if you can find it......tremendous.....I'd use it all the time if the places I know to carry the brand had that one.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »
@MrHoss 

Try out Dizzy's "Swamp Venom" if you can find it......tremendous.....I'd use it all the time if the places I know to carry the brand had that one.....

@1buckie I love the Dizzy Pig Rubs too! How spicy is the Swamp Venom? There are no stores around me that sell it either so have to order from their website.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 06:18:52 PM »
Swamp Venom is pretty zingy, but not in a way you'd expect.....that's what I like about their stuff, it's constructed from herbs & spices & not much else & they shy away from the standard burn your face off heat with cayenne, habanero, etc.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 07:51:22 PM »
Swamp Venom is pretty zingy, but not in a way you'd expect.....that's what I like about their stuff, it's constructed from herbs & spices & not much else & they shy away from the standard burn your face off heat with cayenne, habanero, etc.

@1buckie Thank you that is very helpful! I love the heat but my wife...Not so much.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »
@bbquy  You can buffer heat with fine ground turbinado sugar......it comes in sort small pellet form, so if you grind it down a bit it will fit right in & doesn't burn anywhere near as easy as brown sugar....

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »
 That's great news! Thank you....you learn something new every day! :D

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 11:41:16 PM »
Made a rack of ribs in Portland on my old 22" (that I gave to my Grandson when he moved to PDX) when my wife and I were babysitting the dog.  Bought some "Three Little Pigs" rub at the local Bi-Mart.  Cooked at 260F till the rack folded w/ a slight tear from the bone.  Not to "hot", best ribs you ever made was her comment.  Got to go w/ that for the forseeable future.      SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »

I still make my own rubs, but they usually start with a high quality commercial rub.
Simply marvelous: sweet seduction, cherry, pecan, peppered cow are all AMAZING
Big Poppa Smokers: Money, Sweet Money - Freaking BITCHIN!!
Oak Ridge BBQ has some magical rubs too

My advice: don't get cocky. try some of of these respected rubs and be prepared to get blown away.

Agree 100%. There's sooo many good rubs available commercially, that I just stopped messing w/ my own for the most part.

For now I usually use Mad Hunky GP as a base, then use the West Coast Offense rubs mixed in with it. I also really like Rod Gray's EAT BBQ Rubs. Love Tatonka Dust + SM Peppered Cow on beef.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
. I also really like Rod Gray's EAT BBQ Rubs.
+1 
Of all the commercial rubs I have tried, the EAT rubs are my current favorite.  Bold, spicy, but not hot.  Use "zero to hero" if you like sweet.   "The most powerful stuff" is appropriately named and is a great base to start with if you like to tweak and make it your own.

I recently tried their IPO BBQ sauce.  I am not normally a vinegar based sauce fan, but it strikes the PERFECT balance between tangy and sweet.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 04:31:15 PM »
Has anyone tried the Weber rubs? I've seen the commercials and was curious.

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »

A lot of rubs find their way into my house some good some bad. I like "melt your face off heat" sometimes and other times I want savory and other times I want sweet. I think you can see my point here. Try them all don't get locked in - explore. If you're doing a big cook for a ton of people - yeah you go to your money maker. But for tonight I'm trying out some of Weber's Garlic Sriracha!

Check back in soon - they just went on...

I figured why not - let's see if Weber's Rubs are worth their weight in...salt...

Cheers -

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:15:47 PM by Matt_T »
Keep it simple stupid

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 04:10:46 AM »
Twas good - heat and flavor but nothing that was over powering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 07:12:39 PM »
@Matt_T  Thanks for the feed back. If I try ant of them I'll give my feed back as well.

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 07:39:26 PM »
@bbquy thanks please do. I liked this one and so did my neighbor - he is the benefactor to most of my grilling experiments.

Four thumbs up -

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid