Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Removing Performer Bowl Brackets  (Read 4833 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Removing Performer Bowl Brackets
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:10:57 AM »
I have a mod in the works, and need to remove the bowl brackets from a Performer to make it happen. How can I do that without damaging the brackets? Looks like each side of the bracket has two spot welds. The donor bowl is DOA, so nothing lost there, but I want to use the organs to give life to a new kettle so to speak. C'mon WKC Mod Squad, give up your secrets!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: Removing Performer Bowl Brackets
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »
From what ive read...removing weld is a skillset within itself.

Best way may be to use angle grinder to cut thenl protuding section ofbthe brackets...suggests buying extrac cutting wheels bc you may wear thru them  and def eye protection
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
Get it going..so we can see the mod...
Grills

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »
Are you talking about the brackets/straps that hold the kettle to the cart? I recall someone here had picked up a SS performer which had the kettle bottom completely rusted out. They wound up removing said brackets... if I'm not mistaken, they had successfully removed the brackets fairly easily. I've looked, but can't find the thread.   :-\
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
I have a mod in the works, and need to remove the bowl brackets from a Performer to make it happen. How can I do that without damaging the brackets? Looks like each side of the bracket has two spot welds. The donor bowl is DOA, so nothing lost there, but I want to use the organs to give life to a new kettle so to speak. C'mon WKC Mod Squad, give up your secrets!

"C'mon WKC Mod Squad, give up your secrets!"

Pics......or I can't do that.......

I think you may be able to attack gently from the bottom toward the lip of the kettle using an old chisel 7 light, continuous tapping..........pics of what this actually looks like please...... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
I've never done it......BUT, if it it's spot welded, you should be able to drill out the spot welds. Once they are gone, they should fall right off unless the ceramic coating is holding them together after that.  Even then, you should be able to just wiggle them and break them off.

What do you have going on?  If you need a kettle for a project, I have a black daisy wheel kettle I'd offer up before you start grinding off tabs on a performer kettle. I'd hate to see a performer kettle killed if it's still usable.
-Keith

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »

If the donor bowl is really DOA I'd cut a section out of the bowl to free the bracket from the majority of it and the grind off the weld from the bowl side until you have the bracket free.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 01:13:56 PM »
Oh you pic junkies! You know I'm not about to reveal this contraption before its time. For those worried about the bowl, rest assured its being shown respect. Thanks for all the suggestions, one or a combo of all that will do the trick I'm sure.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 01:48:58 PM »
While I ponder this sacrilege, might as well eat. Hmmm…Grandkids just came by unexpectedly, need to keep it simple. Kielbasa? Check. Bacon? Check. Dinner.

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »
Buy this cutter from harbor freight.

Center punch the middle of the weld.

Drill through 1 piece, not both.

Use a chisel and hammer to get the pieces to pop apart.

Drill through the piece you do not want to save.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-95343.html

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 04:04:25 PM »
Oh you pic junkies! You know I'm not about to reveal this contraption before its time. For those worried about the bowl, rest assured its being shown respect. Thanks for all the suggestions, one or a combo of all that will do the trick I'm sure.

Naw, we know enough not to ask you to dish the whole thing.....just needed a pic of what the bracket looked like up close.....never seen one unbolted or the underside......

@Erich  has likely got you covered with his suggestion anyway....good move !!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:08:16 AM »
@MartyG - i removed and re-used performer brackets yesterday.

on my donor bowl (currently growing cilantro), i was able to find where the two spot welds were and drill them out. I used a small drill bit to make sure the bracket remained usable.
Even after drilling, some prying was needed. I used a flat screwdriver, because i'm a tool-tard. With a little tapping, the brackets were 1/3 of an inch off the bowl. The bowl metal is softer and weaker than the weld, prying it literally made a hole in the bowl.

two of the weld remnants were able to break off by bending back and forth. The other two got cut off with the dremel. Removing both took about 30 minutes. Both brackets needed to be filed down and re-shaped.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 09:36:43 AM »
Will try that this weekend @Troy, and I have a backup plan in mind if I screw up. (When I screw up. )

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »
@MartyG - i removed and re-used performer brackets yesterday.

on my donor bowl (currently growing cilantro), i was able to find where the two spot welds were and drill them out. I used a small drill bit to make sure the bracket remained usable.
Even after drilling, some prying was needed. I used a flat screwdriver, because i'm a tool-tard. With a little tapping, the brackets were 1/3 of an inch off the bowl. The bowl metal is softer and weaker than the weld, prying it literally made a hole in the bowl.

two of the weld remnants were able to break off by bending back and forth. The other two got cut off with the dremel. Removing both took about 30 minutes. Both brackets needed to be filed down and re-shaped.

@Troy 

Get this into your signature line for a week or two:

"on my donor bowl (currently growing cilantro)'