Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: black triangle? [pictures added]  (Read 3937 times)

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
black triangle? [pictures added]
« on: June 11, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
Guys - I just scored a N-code grey (not faded black) 22".  I'll post pix when I get a chance.  Bought it from the original owner in Arkansas.

He claims he used it a few times, and it has been sitting in his garage.  It is super clean.  The triangle on this grill is black.  It looks like it has been black for a long time, and the paint job looks really good.  My question - did Weber ever sell grills with black triangles?

(I sent the seller an email about whether he painted it, but haven't heard back)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:29:16 AM by Uncle JJ »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: black triangle?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »
Yup. Got one on my Black OTG. It was factory for a few years around 2010 I believe. For exact years @Craig needs to comment.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 10:05:17 AM »
Yup. Got one on my Black OTG. It was factory for a few years around 2010 I believe. For exact years @Craig needs to comment.

Yup, too … I have one on my AA code (2011) blue OTG.  I don't like it … Well, at least not on the blue.
My blue also came with a black ash bucket …. Don't like that either.

My personal preference is black triangle on a black kettle only … And maybe a copper, but I don't have a copper .. just basing it on pics.

I'm wondering if he painted it, or swapped from a newer kettle.  ??? ???
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »
He just doesn't seem like the type who would've gone to the trouble of painting it.  According to him, it has sat unused for a decade.  However, I would note that the bottom vents are held on by screws, not rivets; so there is a chance he tinkered with it somewhere along the way.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:36:08 PM »
So it's an N code Grey with daisy wheels? Can't remember seeing one of these before
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 01:04:05 PM »
" Black Triangle " should be the name of a secret Weber organization ......maybe it already is .....[emoji102]

I have one came on a newer model , can't wait to see the pictures of the grill !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:11:46 PM »
If your Grey N has Daisy wheels instead of One Touch then it should be a black triangle by 1990s Weber colored Daisy wheel kettle standards. Why they did this, I don't know.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 01:29:20 PM »
@Uncle JJ

I have a grey triangle from the 1960's.  Its for a 26" grill.  It has a porcelain enamel coating.  Also an all black Wood Dale (legs, triangle, pan).  Don, who worked as an Accountant for Weber Bros picked it off the assembly line in 1958 in this condition.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 11:36:59 PM »
I have an F-code ('84) 22" Black that is a OTS, I had to replace the 7409 when I got it.  I think someone on the forum mentioned that Weber sometimes issued daisy wheel kettles at a lower model/price-point, but I not knowledgeable on the subject to know.   SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 05:40:46 AM »
Thanks everyone, for your advice/comments.  I haven't assembled the grill yet, but here are some pix.  I think the one leg socket was damaged in shipping, but I'm not sure.  Other than that, this is really clean.  Look at the thick bottom of the top handle - odd.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: black triangle? [pictures added]
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 06:01:00 AM »
I don't know about other '90s daisy wheel kettles but it wouldn't surprise me if Weber just said, "Eh, let's forget the rivets this time, just use screws."

The existence of a non-standard color for a "non deluxe" model is a bigger curiosity to me. And you're right, that handle is odd.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 06:07:53 AM »
That is a sweet grey! What I love most about it is that it's a daisy wheeler! I'd love to find one of these!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »
Sweet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 04:51:02 PM »
My new in box AT brick red Kraft OTG came with a black triangle.

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »
So, the seller got back to me.  He said everything on the grey is factory original.  This includes the black triangle (which we knew), screws on the daisies, and the weird handle.

BTW, whet would you guys do to the damaged leg socket?  I'm thinking of spraying it with some high-temp clear coat.