Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Removing preseasoning from cast iron  (Read 1493 times)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Removing preseasoning from cast iron
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:13:31 AM »
So I have a cast iron griddle that was preseasoned (a black coating). The seasoning has flaked off in places and I'd like to get it completely off and I'd like to get it completely off and reseason it normally.

Any advice how to get this stuff off?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Removing preseasoning from cast iron
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 06:25:26 AM »
I bought a new Lodge DO and wanted to unseason it. I did this successfully in my oven on the cleaning cycle. It worked great. Be careful with this, as I've heard CI can warp at high temps. Mine did not.

Other options include a Lye bath or use oven cleaner and soak in trash bags (I think oven cleaner is lye based).

I think an electrolosys bath may work too.  I knot it is used for rust, not sure on stripping old seasoning.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »
I've been using the cleaning cycle in my oven for years with cast iron. Works great.

I always do it when I pick up a piece of cast iron as I never know how it was cared for previously. I had one guy trying to sell me a Dutch oven that he openly admitted he used for melting lead......um, no thanks.  Damn shame, it was a beautiful old Griswold.
-Keith

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 08:31:21 AM »
+1 to everything Sheryl Canter says about cast iron seasoning. 

I use oven cleaner in a trash bag for many hours.  Works even better if you can put the bag in a sunny spot outside. 
One of the charcoal people.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »
I have had mine sand blasted and it worked great.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!