Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hold time & the importance of resting....  (Read 1746 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Hold time & the importance of resting....
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:16:04 PM »
Saw this elsewhere (Bretheren) & it's a real good article about resting BBQ.....

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...eat-is-sublime

From here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212006
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Hold time & the importance of resting....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »
I've heard something about resting your chicken......
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:56:10 AM »
I prefer resting with a beer and the kettle at 225!!!!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:08:38 AM »
I rest everything. Huge proponent! I have a relative that thinks it's a waist of time and I've tasted her turkey.... I "rest" my case.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »
I'm sure it makes things taste better. But for me the hold time helps provide flexibility. Throw it on early- it can always rest a bit longer!
Growing family = growing kettles!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »
That NPR article is about holding, not resting. Very different concepts.

In my experience a very short rest is fine for grilled foods pulled off just shy of "target temp" so that the carryover brings them up. A longer rest is cold food and/or sweaty food.

But low-and-slow BBQ food held 140-170 for awhile is a different thing altogether.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke aren't they inherently the same concept? Let the moisture redistribute? But if you're going to rest it longer you have to use a heat source of some type to "hold" the temp above the food safety threshold.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Just resthold a pork butt for three hours some time & it will become obvious the difference in terminology doesn't matter.....turns decent to good BBQ into magic...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
I do the towel and cooler method like most. They call that holding, I call it resting. Same difference to me, though I suppose it could be more than semantics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
Holding is about keeping a constant low temp such as in a cambrio or insulated cooler and resting is letting it go down to something closer to room temp on its own, and quicker. So I don't consider them the same technique at all, even if both activities help.

Meat kept at 140-170 for 2 hours wasn't rested. It was held fairly constant! Meat allowed to sit on the kitchen counter for 15-30 minutes before slicing didn't "hold" a temperature, it got cooler and cooler and cooler by ambient temp overpowering it.

Yes they are closely related since neither is "actively" cooking the food, by letting the meat do anti-cooking things prior to being cut up.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
Eh. I hear yah, but they're both losing temp, it's just a matter of how quickly. Neither truly hold a temp. Like Craig's turkey. It didn't probably get any colder than a brisket in a cooler. It just cooled down more quickly.
But again I get your point. And once again, Buckie is right. It's all for the good of delicious food, so call it what you like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk